- 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔢. ミ

╲⠀╲⠀╲ ╲
⠀⠀╲⠀╲⠀☆⠀ ╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀☆⠀╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ★

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀★

november 1859

november 1859

Bare feet shuffled against cold stone as a young boy darted back and forth around the bedroom, picking up random titbits and examining them, sometimes placing them back where he found them, other times placing them in a large suitcase that was slowly being filled up. The only light illuminating the room was from a warm, saffron oil lamp placed on the desk by the door, washing the room in its glow. Dropping to his knees beside his bed, Paul leant down to run his fingers along the timber slabs underneath that was holding up the mattress, eventually finding a certain item tucked in between and pulling it out; the boy gazed down at the object resting in his palms with an increasingly fond expression, wistful smile gracing his plump lips as he did so.
John's bracelet he'd given him back in May. The green and yellow crystals attached to the silver wire shone with an orange glow from the lamp, and the memories of the day he'd given it to him fogged his mind.

"Open yer eyes." John murmured, slowly letting go of his hands to rest his own in his lap, nervously chewing the inside of his cheek, thinking of Paul's reaction.

Doing so, the boy opened his fingers to find the shimmering bracelet in his palms.

"J-John!" He gasped in absolute shock, mouth falling open as he examined the piece of jewellery in wonder and awe.

"Think of it as.. an early birthday present." The older boy smirked when Paul's head lifted to lock eyes with him.

He couldn't believe that John would've spent so much money on a gift for him at the time. He could still feel the sun beating down on his bare back, George and Ringo nearby as they all lazed on the rocks, the hard stone beneath him hot and slightly stinging, painful against his skin. John's fingers brushing his when he placed the bracelet in his palms, eyes flashing with anxiety as he waited for his reaction. It was one of his most treasured memories. Pretty much every memory he'd ever had with John was a treasured memory. Every moment of lying there in the darkness together, moonlight staining his partner's auburn locks silver, or stolen moments in the safety of the barn; the time they spent in Paul's secret spots deep in the woods by his house, in the silken sheets of John's bedroom.. he vowed to keep those memories dear to him for the rest of his life, no matter what might happen in the future. Whether they might give up and turn back on their plan a few months in, or grow old together in Paris - or even move to another country or back to their home city; he would always remember every moment he'd ever spent with John, the first love of his life. And hopefully the only one. Paul figured he wouldn't find anyone quite like John ever again, anyway.. if he ever found someone else in the future, he felt they wouldn't quite complete him like John was always able to. It just wouldn't be possible.
If Paul had never given the prince a chance, let him into his life.. he had no idea where he'd be if he never chose to do that. Or if he had just never gone to the masquerade.