- 𝔰𝔦𝔵𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫. ミ

╲⠀╲⠀╲ ╲

⠀⠀╲⠀╲⠀☆⠀ ╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀☆⠀╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ★

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀★

february 1859

february 1859

"I think 'm sick, da'.."

Mike's raspy voice sounded weakly from the mattress. Those were the horrible words that Paul and Jim dreaded so badly. The raven-haired boy shivered and wrapped his lanky arms around himself as a cold feeling rushed up his spine. This was definitely not good, and he could see it on his father's face, which was taut and stark white, jaw clenched. Paul noticed a fleeting flash of fear in Jim's expression, which caused the boy's heart to sink. He had never seen his dad scared like that before.

"Are you sure, son? What are yer symptoms?"

"Well, I' been coughing so much th' past few days.. sneezing a lot an' my nose is so runny.." Mike's faint voice drifted into the background as Paul stood there, anxiously tearing at a loose thread on his shirt as his vision unfocussed to a blur as he stared at the stone floor. He couldn't bear to listen to those words. How the hell are they gonna pay for it? They had next to no money at the moment, as they pretty much always have. They couldn't afford a doctor at all, they wouldn't be able to get any remedies. This could really turn bad. Already Mike was quite far in with the symptoms, he hadn't brought it up to them when he first started feeling sick, the bastard. He probably didn't want to worry them, but he knew he had to tell them first up so they could catch it early before it turned into something that they could no longer control.

"..Paul! Please go tend to the plants, they need waterin' as it hasn't rained much lately." Jim's warm hand on his shoulder brought Paul back to reality with a jolt, and he glanced up into his father's face, which now had a small, but controlled smile, expression giving nothing away as he guided his eldest son to the backyard.

"D...Da'?" Paul broke the tense silence that hung in the air, the two having stood there for a few moments, knowing what was coming.

"Yes, Paul?" Jim spoke eventually with a half-sigh.

"Will.. will Mike be okay?" Paul turned to face his father, fingers tugging on the end of his sleeves again.

"He will be. We'll sort this, alrigh'? We'll be fine. Jus'.. focus on yer work for now, please."

And with that, Jim made his way back inside, leaving Paul outside, standing there as anxiety bubbled up in his throat again, threatening to take a hold of his brain as thoughts ran wild in his mind, but he did his best to shove them into the back of his mind like always. The doe-eyed boy decided to distract himself with watering and tending to the plants, so he did so, listening to the distant chirps of birds, watching the bees buzz lazily around the wildflowers and butterflies occasionally drifting past him. It was one of his favourite times of the year, the brink of spring. The sun hung high in the sky, due to it only being mid morning, and a light smatter of clouds accompanied it, along with a cool breeze.