- 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶 𝔱𝔥𝔯𝔢𝔢. ミ

╲⠀╲⠀╲ ╲

⠀⠀╲⠀╲⠀☆⠀ ╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

⠀☆⠀╲⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ★

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀★

june 1859

june 1859

"Paul, c'mon, stop dawdlin'! Help me cut up these onions."

"Huh? Oh..." Paul looked up from the paper in his hand. He shied away from the harsh summer sun that beat down on his face, making him hold up a hand to shield his eyes. Mike was peering out from the door of the shed where they prepared the animal feed, gazing at him with slight concern and suspicion. He tried to manage a convincing smile. "Comin'."

"What's up with you lately? Yer mopin' about like a bad smell and you keep sighing wistfully. What's got you down in the dumps?" Mike placed his hands on his hips as his brother slipped past him, slipping the drawing of him asleep in John's bed his lover had drawn for him - he'd found it in the pocket of the pants he was wearing and had been staring at it with a sickeningly fond smile before Mike hurried him along - before picking up a trough they carried the pig's food in and dumping it on the bench.

"Nothin', nothin'. Just... tired." Paul answered vaguely, focusing on slicing up the onions Mike had clumsily tried to cut up but failed. The thoughts about the decision he was going to make soon filled his head again, a pang of guilt coursing through his chest. Mike would be so torn up when he found him gone with just a measly note. I'm so conflicted, damnit!! He almost slammed his fist on the bench in rage, staring down at the half-cut onions with a grimace.

"Are you sure?" Mike stared at him in worry, nudging his shoulder gently. "You can tell me what it is. Is it that... John guy?" He chewed his lip with furrowed brows.

"No, no. We're fine." Paul shook his head, not feeling up to talking about the prince. He'd almost forgotten that his brother knew about them. He'd been a good sport about to whole ordeal, even if he knew next to nothing about what it was like, and the raven-haired boy couldn't feel more grateful. He lifted his head, finally gathering enough courage to meet Mike's eye.

Locking gazes with his worried own, he let out a weak noise and pulled him into a tight hug, holding on as if it was the last time and burying his head in his shoulder. He felt Mike stiffen in his embrace before melting into it, patting his back awkwardly.

"I'm sorry, Mike. I'm so sorry." The words spilled from his mouth before he could stop it, and he already felt his eyes flooding with tears and his throat closing up, trying to shove down all the emotions he was feeling before he turned into a sobbing mess right then and there. "Y'know I love you, right?"

Mike gently pulled away, letting his hands rest on his brother's shoulder as he gazed into his eyes, looking even more anxious than before. "Paul, what d'ye mean? I-... I know you love me, I love you too. But what is this about? What's got ye so worked up?"