When Word Of The Genocide Reaches Maul...We Get Another Jedi Interlude, Yay!

MAUL SHUT OFF the hologram. He wasn't able to watch any more. It was probably a faked video anyway, but it might be true and it was still devastating to watch. 

This has Kenobi and Vader written all over it, Maul thought bitterly. If the voice-over was true, then that's exactly who it was, too. And right here on Coruscant...you'd think they'd at least go offworld to murder innocent beings. Somewhere in the Outer Rim, where word won't reach the Jedi.

His thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of Masters Yoda and Mace Windu in the room.

"Seen the holograms, have you?" Yoda said gravely.

"How could you tell?" groaned Maul as the two Masters sat down.

"The look on your face, for one thing," Mace said, "and for another, we can sense it. Your energy is off. You seem troubled."

"I am troubled," Maul said. "Troubled that Kenobi and Vader -- most likely Skywalker, as you say -- did this right here on Coruscant, right under the Jedi's noses, and did it so publicly. It's as if they wanted us to notice them."

"Likely, that possibility is," Yoda said. "Know we are onto them, they may."

"But Master Yoda, how would they have found out?" asked Mace. "Kenobi is on the Council, and Skywalker is quickly rising through the ranks of powerful and well-respected Jedi. But they've never once heard us discussing this."

"Unless --!" Maul gasped as a realization hit him.

"Unless what?" Mace asked.

"Unless they overheard us talking in the Coruscant underworld earlier," Maul said, turning to Yoda. "We were so busy talking, or they were so powerful, that we didn't notice them, not even through the Force. I'd recognize Kenobi's energy anywhere, and you know Skywalker."

Yoda bowed his small green head. "Disturbing, this thought is," he said quietly. "But likely it is also, hmm. Keep a closer eye on them, we must."

"But what were they doing? You two took your walk through Coruscant hours before this supposed mass genocide committed by Vader and the one he called Master," Mace said, looking perplexed, which was an unusual look for him in any case.

"Maybe," Maul guessed, "they were on their way to contact Sidious where we couldn't find them and we just happened to cross their path. Either that, or they somehow knew we were going to be there and hid to spy on us."

"The first one sounds more likely," Mace said.

"Agree, I do," Yoda piped up. "But, meeting in person were they, or contacting by hologram, hmm?"

"Probably by hologram," Maul said, getting up and starting to pace. "Sidious rarely contacts his apprentices in person. When he does, it's usually for something of utmost importance."

"I wonder what he's planning that he needs regular contact from his spies?" Mace wondered aloud. 

"For that answer," Yoda said, "time to send Maul back out, it is."

Both of the other Jedi looked at him in surprise.

"You really mean it?" Maul asked, not believing what he was hearing. Yoda was letting him go back out?

"Mean it, I do," Yoda confirmed.

"Yoda," Mace said, "isn't it a little dangerous to send Maul back into the field? Presumably, if they know Maul is alive, they'll have told Sidious already. He won't exactly be able to continue his work as a spy."

"Spy, he cannot," Yoda said. "True, this is. But work as a loner, an informant, he can. Eventually, give him a legion of clones, we may, once the Council informed of his return and allegiance is."

"I'd be okay with that," interjected Maul. "Working as a loner is better than disguising myself as a Sith in any case. Besides, I won't have to use a red lightsaber anymore."

"Well, if you think it's wise, Yoda," Mace shrugged.

"Wise, it is not," Yoda said gravely. "Necessary, it is. Back into the field you will go, Maul."

"Thank you, Master Yoda," Maul said gratefully.

"Nothing to thank me about, there is," Yoda said. And on that ominous note, he and Mace stood and left the room.

Leaving Maul once more to his thoughts.

I won't give up on Kenobi or Skywalker, Maul thought. Perhaps they can still be turned, perhaps not, but either way, I will not give up until either I'm dead, they're dead, or they've seen the light and come back to the Jedi. 

I won't.

------------

okay, so, longer than i'd thought it would be, but okay

these jedi are smart, i'll give them that. i mean, they pretty much figured out the plot of the last chapter without help, so

at this point i kind of feel bad for jedi knight maul because i'm kind of planning on having him get his robotic ass kicked by obi-wan in the next chapter or two

luke and leia are going to happen at some point, i just don't know how or when, but they are coming!!

as always, please leave comments and thank you to everyone who's read this

~R.A. Starkiller