Mustafar And Afterward: Maul Saves A Lot Of People And Goes Into Exile

HE ARRIVED ON MUSTAFAR just in time. He'd brought Yoda and Bail Organa with him, and Ahsoka looked grateful to see them.

"I think my water just broke," Ahsoka gasped. "I need to get somewhere safer, fast."

Maul nodded, glancing down at Yoda. "We'll find somewhere, don't worry," he assured her.

"I'm already on it," Bail Organa said, disappearing back into the ship. 

He came back out a minute later. "There's an asteroid with an off-the-charts medical station not too far from here. We'll take you to it, Ahsoka."

"You take her, I'll fly separately," Maul said. "If it's not too far, we shouldn't be in hyperspace very..."

"What is it, Maul? Something wrong, there is?" asked Yoda when Maul cut off, sensing something in the Force.

"Padme," Maul breathed. "They've got Padme."

"Who? The Sith?" Organa asked.

Maul gave the Senator a look. "No, a ragtag team of random, still-functional battle droids. Of course the Sith!"

Organa looked suitaby embarrassed. 

"I have to go after her," Maul said, turning to Yoda.

"Hmm. Go after her, you can," Yoda said gravely, closing his large green eyes as if to block out the horror he had just experienced. "Gone, the Jedi Order is. Few survivors there are. By the Code, we can no longer live."

Maul, despite the depressing situation, couldn't help feeling his spirits lift slightly at that news. That meant he was free to have an open relationship with Padme.

"Now go. Save her, you must," Yoda urged. Maul nodded, needing no further prompting, and ran to his ship. 

Jumping in, he called, "I'll meet you on the asteroid when I have Padme! Stay strong, Ahsoka."

"We'll take care of her," said Organa. "Go!"

Maul nodded again and took off, jumping to hyperspace and still wishing he could go faster. The trip through hyperspace seemed agonizingly slow, though in reality it was only a few minutes. Coruscant wasn't too far away from Mustafar, and there was a direct hyperspace route from the firey planet to the capital. 

He snuck into Coruscant's atmosphere through traffic. People were coming from all over the galaxy to see what all the fuss over the new Galactic Empire was, and now even more so with the Sith's news about Palpatine's death.

Maul headed straight for the Jedi Temple and the Senate Building, using the Force to find Padme's life energy. He was attuned to it, and found her quite easily, presumably locked in her room in the Senate Building. She was awake and frantic, and her very life force seemed to call his name.

Maul set the ship down a ways away from the building, not wanting it to get shot down. He hailed a friendly-looking cab drvier and practically jumped in.

"Senate Building, fifteenth floor, suite four, now," Maul said. 

"Got someone important to you, too, huh?" the driver said as he piloted the air taxi off into traffic, going faster than was strictly necessary. 

"Yeah, how'd you know?" Maul asked.

"They killed my son," the driver said. "He was a Jedi in training, a Padawan I think. Caleb Dume."

Maul was surprised. "Dume? I had a hand in his training. Depa Billaba asked me to take him for a day to get some new experience. He was a bright young man. I quite liked him."