"Execute Order 66"...Well, The Sith Executed Order 66 Alright. Maybe Too Well.

MACE HAD TOLD them to stay. But Anakin and Obi-Wan had never been the greatest listeners. So the two of them followed Mace, Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar, and Saesee Tiin back to Palpatine's office in the Senate building.

"Wait," Obi-Wan told his young lover. "We have to let Master kill the other three before we go in to ensure Mace's death. Mace is the strongest of the four, so he'll be the hardest to kill, just as Master predicted. In the meantime, we can permanently switch our lightsaber blades."

"Alright, Obi, alright," Anakin said. "I don't like this waiting thing, though."

"Neither do I, Ani, you know that," Obi-Wan replied. "But we have to; it's part of Master's plan."

Anakin had discovered that Palpatine was really Darth Sidious by accident a few hours before and called in Obi-Wan to be briefed on Sidious's plan for the execution of the Jedi.

"I know," Anakin sighed. "Come on, let's fix our lightsabers."

The two Sith performed the second half of the ancient Sith ritual of making a kyber crystal bleed while they waited. It was a good thing they worked fast, because both Sith were able to sense everything going on in that room, and they sensed it when Mace cornered Palpatine.

"Now," Obi-Wan said, and the two Sith entered the room.

"You are under arrest, My Lord," Mace said, his purple-bladed lightsaber at Palpatine's throat.

Palpatine noticed his apprentices and said, "Obi-Wan! Anakin! I told you it would come to this. I was right. The Jedi are taking over."

"You old fool. The oppression of the Sith will never return. Your plot to regain control of the Republic is over...you have lost..." sneered Mace, an unusual look for him. 

That's what he thinks, thought Obi-Wan. 

"No! No! You will die!" Palpatine countered. He raised his hands, sending Force lightning flying out of his fingertips at Mace, who blocked it with his lightsaber and deflected it back at Palpatine. 

"He is a traitor, Anakin, Obi-Wan," Palpatine said, his voice strained.

"He's the traitor! Stop him!" Mace countered.

"Come to your senses. The Jedi are in revolt. They will betray you, just as they betrayed me," Palpatine said, faking trying to seduce the two to the dark side. "You aren't one of them, either of you. Don't let him kill me."

Obi-Wan and Anakin pretended to be indecisive. Palpatine pressed on.

"I am your pathway to power. I have the power to destroy whatever stands in your way. You must choose. You must stop him."

"Don't listen to him, Anakin," Mace insisted, backing Palpatine up even further. His eyes turned the familiar Sith color as he struggled to keep his hold on the Sith lightning. "Obi-Wan, don't listen."

"Help me! Don't let him kill me. I can't hold on any longer. Ahhhhhhh...ahhhhhhh... ahhhhhhh..." Palpatine trailed off as the lightning started to hit him, horribly disfiguring his face. He had to let go of the torrent, apparently in too much pain to do anything.

Mace leveled his lightsaber at Palpatine's throat. The two Sith looked on in apparent horror.

"I can't...I give up. Help me. I am weak...I am too weak. Don't kill me. I give up. I'm dying. I can't hold on any longer," Palpatine moaned, his voice strained and fading in and out.

"You Sith disease. I am going to end this once and for all," Mace snarled.

"You can't kill him, Master. He must stand trial," Anakin said.