i'm just like you

DECEMBER 22, 1985 12:55 P.M.

"Will?" asked Robin softly.

"Yeah?" 

"Do you have... like a secret... that no one knows about? Like your crush for example?" she asked.

"Yeah, I guess so?" replied Will. He was confused. Robin seemed suspicious.

"Well, I have the same secret as you. I'm just like you," said Robin. She hoped that Will was just like her, she could sense it.

"What is it? How am I 'like you'?" asked Will.

"Well, it all started in 10th grade. In Mrs. Click's History class. 'Mrs. Clickity Clackity' we used to call her. I sat behind Steve Harrington, the king of Hawkins High, for two days a week for a year." she explained.

Will was seemingly interested but also very bored. She probably liked this boy in the class and then the boy she liked never liked her back just how Mike doesn't like me back. Boring.

"Steve had this awful hairdo that never changed since. Him and that stupid Farrah Fawcett spray," they both giggled. 

Robin was ready to tell Will about her secret. She sighed and began, "And then there's Tammy Thompson. She sat right next to Steve. She laughed at his stupid jokes, blushed whenever he shared his bagel with her and got bagel crumbs all over the floor. Tammy loved Steve. And he knew it."

"Doesn't Steve like you?" asked Will.

"Yeah, but we became just friends after I told him this."

"What did you tell him?"

"I wanted her to look at me. But she just couldn't pull her eyes away from him."

Will realized that line was said in his head yesterday about Mike. She likes girls. She likes Tammy. She's just like me.

"Oh," said Will.

"Do you understand?" asked Robin with a soft grin.

"Yeah." Will nodded. "I'm happy for you," said Will.

Before Robin could say anything else, Will cut her off by saying, "I'm like you, too." they both smiled and Mike walked out of the bathroom and sat down next to Will.

Robin looked at the two of them staring at the wall behind her and noticed Will's body language when Mike was near him. 

"I know who it is." Robin said to Will, coded as 'I know who your crush is'

"Are you sure?" asked Will. He knew what Robin meant. She nodded and smiled. She knew Will liked Mike.

"What are you guys talking about?" Mike chimed in.

"Nothing. I'm just trying to figure out who Will bought a new hat for Christmas." Robin lied.

"Is it me?" asked Mike.

"Possibly," said Will with a smirk and Robin winked at him.

1:40 P.M.

The gang went back to the Wheeler's to hang out after Christmas shopping. Will was glad he had someone to talk to. And he was proud of Robin for coming out to him.

Lucas and Robin had to go home, so only Steve, Will, Mike, Dustin, Max, and El were there.

"So Will, did you join another party?" asked Max.

"No, El and I will always stay at this party. We love you guys," said Will.

"Aww," said Dustin with a smile, "We love you too."

The gang talked some more and Mommy Steve ordered them a pizza. He was truly the best babysitter ever.

2:30 P.M.

Max stayed after Steve drove Dustin home. El and Max ran to Joyce and asked if they could have a sleepover at Max's.

"Please, Mom. Her parents won't mind."

"Okay, El. But for tonight only. No double sleepovers or anything like that."

"Thanks." El ran over to Max who was patiently waiting for Joyce to approve and squealed with excitement. She ran to her suitcase to gather pajamas and quickly left the Wheelers with Max.

3:00 P.M.

Will ran to the basement to tell Mike that El was sleeping over Max's.

"For tonight only?" asked Mike.

"Yeah, I think so," replied Will.

Will loved being left alone with Mike, it just felt so right to be with him.

Will laid on his sleeping bag, next to Mike's. His hand lightly brushed against Mike's hand, causing chills to go up to his spine. Mike was facing the wall, just laying there.

"Remember last year you told me we would go crazy together?" asked Will out of the blue.

"I think so. Why?" Mike turned towards Will.

"What did you mean?" asked Will.

"I guess I just missed El and I still believed she was out there, but it seemed like those words had a deeper meaning. Like 'love makes you crazy and stupid.' but that just sounds stupid," replied Mike.

"Yeah, well, I guess the only person who went crazy was me. I mean that I was possessed and had no happy place," said Will

"I was afraid that something bad would happen to you last year. Like the Mind Flayer would never escape you and eventually kill you. That's the part that scared me."

Will shuddered at the fact that Mike actually cared about him last year, and now he doesn't anymore. All he could say was, "Yeah."

Mike ran upstairs to grab a snack. Will needed to tell him.