christmas romance

DECEMBER 25, 1985 - 10:00 a.m. (3 days later)

WILL'S P.O.V.

Today's Christmas. Three days ago, Michael Wheeler, the love of my life, had kissed me. I ran up to him. In the rain. He grabbed my face. And just put his lips on mine. Everything felt numb. Nothing that happened that night felt real.

Why did he do it?

Why did he kiss me?

Was it because El wasn't there?

Oh my God.

I forgot that El doesn't even know.

What'll she say when she finds out?

She'll think that I'm some sick queer that kissed him.

But he kissed me. Not the other way around.

What the fuck?

Does he like me?

Was it a joke?

Was it the heat of the moment?

It felt like a dream.

And he's laying right next to me. He's sleeping in his sleeping bag. And his girlfriend is sleeping on his couch.

We haven't spoken of that night ever since we kissed. He's acting like it never happened.

I'm the only one awake.

I wanna open gifts.

It's Christmas morning.

Holly came running down to the basement where all three teenagers were resting.

"Mike! It's Christmas! I wanna open presents! Please! Santa came!" she shrieked. Mike sat up next to Will and shooed her off saying that they'll be up soon.

El and Will sat up and stretched.

Mike began, "El. I need to tell you something. Please don't get upset, but I think we should break up."

El's eyes lit up, "I'm not upset. I understand, Mike. I think we should break up too."

Mike and El got up and hugged. They laid back down.

ELEVEN'S P.O.V.

El was itching to tell Mike about Max.

I need to tell him. No more secrets. Friends don't lie.

"Mike,"

"What is it?"

"I- is it okay for a girl to like another girl?"

"I mean, yeah I guess so. Why?"

I have to tell him.