03

LEANING ON THE WALL in the hall is Isabella with her head cast down on her phone. At the sound of footsteps she looks up — a ghost of a smile on her face.

I do not beat about the bush when I reach her. I cut to the chase. “What did Officer Martinez ask you about?”

“The accident.”

“Accident?” I scream. “You told her it was an accident? How could you when you knew it was a murder?”

“Keep it down.” Isabella scolds in a hush tone. “I can explain outside.”

That is how we head out of the police station and into the cold air. I stand in front of her — arms crossed as I let out — “Explain.”

 “The Officer started to mention trials and death penalties and life sentences. I do not want that to happen to Ricco despite how bad of a person he is.”

“What about the man he murdered? Does that man not deserve justice?”

“That man is dead Carina. Whereas Ricco is alive. You have to change your statement.” She takes a hold of my hand.

“No.” I retract my hand from hers. “How could you ask that of me knowing what happened to my parents?”

“Carina I—”

“I do not want to hear it.” I cut her off before I head off in the opposite direction. She screams after me but I do not stop — not even for a second.

The louder she screams the faster I walk and when she walks I run and run until I can run no more.

I look back and do not catch sight of her. All I see is the dark of dusk that swallows me the further I head down the street.

The trees rustle in the cold breeze while I shiver. I fish out the phone and attempt to call an Uber. It takes forever and I stand there in the cold until an expensive sports car pulls up in front of me.

When the windows roll down I expect to see some old creep. Instead I see Salvatore in the drivers seat and Candle in the passengers seat.

“Need a ride?” Salvatore questions. I want to refuse but I look around. The area is deserted and dark — not to mention cold.

 Who knows what lies ahead? And who knows what could pull me in the bushes?

I make a decision there and then as I nod and answer. “Yes.”

“Hop in.” Salvatore tells me. Candle does not seem to like that as she scowls at me. That however does not stop me when I pull the car door open and hop into the backseat.

Salvatore adjusts his mirror before we lock stares. “Where to?”

“University of Rome.” I respond.

“I went there.” He informs.

“I went there too.” Candle chimes into the conversation. She looks back at me — a hint of a smile on her face. “How do you like it there?”

“Not much. Everyone here speaks Italian and I do not know Italian.”

“I faced the same problem until I met Salvatore.” She smiles at him. He does not smile back — he keeps his focus on the road.

She continues. “Do you have someone?”

“No. Not after Ricco.”

“Would you want to have someone?” Salvatore questions as he fixes his stare on me in the mirror. I shift in the seat and feel the heat all around me.