46

I SHOULD FEEL SOMETHING. A hint of emotion to let me know I lost a father but none come on. All that comes is relief. More so when the boss continues her speech. “You are free from now on, Carina.”

“How—? Is there a catch?” I am prompted to ask because this is the Russian Mafia. The boss stands from her chair and so do I.

“No catch. It is law here that when one of our members die, their family is freed. However, you are to talk to no one about what or who you have seen or heard. Otherwise, we will have a problem. Hopefully, this will be our last meeting.” She concludes. “Nikolai! Escort her back to the airport!”

Even when we are back on the road to the airport, I cannot believe it. Freedom. It had been something I’d craved for such a long time and here it was in the palm of my hand. Yet I didn’t know what to do with it. It all seemed so unbelievable.

I’d never again be summoned to Russia and feel obliged to go, I’d never again be held captive by my father or Caterina.

However, one thought still lingers, “Nikolai, how did my father, and Caterina die?”

“Their heads were cut off and sent to our door step.” He responds, a cold chill running down my spine. He passes me his phone, showing a picture of a note written in blood, ‘An eye for an eye’.

“Be careful with him,” Nikolai warns, grabbing his phone back from me.

“Salvatore would never hurt me.” I retort, as sure as can be. Nikolai chuckles bitterly.

“I’m not talking about Salvatore; I’m talking about his father. He has every reason to hurt you.”

“Salvatore would never let him.” I say in turn. Nikolai slightly nods but does not hesitate to send out another warning.

“Just be careful.” Those are his last words to me before I am sent off on a private Jet back to Italy.

I think about Salvatore the whole time. Had I known that the trip meant freedom for me, I would have never hid it from him.

My heart sinks to the pit of my stomach at the thought of it all. Will he even want to see me? I want to see him. He is all I want to see.

.

.

.

.

.

AFTER A PAINFULLY LONG 5 hours, I land at the airport in Italy. It is afternoon but hard to tell from all the thick dark clouds that cover the skies.

Thunder storms the air and before the rain falls — I am driven back on campus and that is it.

I am completely free. What do free people do? What do free people think about? I do not have much in mind except Salvatore.

I should see him. I think to call an Uber there and then but I remember the mess of the dorm room. That and I need to shower.

I head back to the dorm room and discover that it has been cleaned and tidied up. Salvatore comes to mind but when Isabella pops up from the Kitchen — disappointment settles over me.