42

(TRIGGER WARNING: THERE ARE MENTIONS OF SELF-HARM IN THIS CHAPTER.)

.

.

.

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN?” Salvatore questions. I let out a breath; my heart drumming against my chest and beating through my ears.

“I lied.” I gulp. “The Russians were the ones that murdered your family under the command of my father.”

“Your father is dead, Carina. Did someone threaten you to tell me all of this?” He questions, furrowing his eyebrows. I shake my head no, deciding to take a different approach.

“Remember that call you got from the man that wanted revenge on you and your family for what you did?” I ask, and slowly, I watch as the realization dawns on him.

I make it even more clear when I add, “That was my father.”

“Why did you lie to me about all this for so long, Carina?” He questions, hurt echoing through his cracking voice. “You know how much my family meant to me. Especially Gabriella. She was just a kid. She didn't deserve any of what she got.”

“I was tricked. My father told me that if I took the blame on video for the murder of Candle and Natalia in his place— he would set me free but it was a lie.

He threatened me with it and kept me captive.

I had to strike a deal with the Russian Mafia boss in order to be set free and that freedom meant lying to you. I could end up in prison if the Russians discover that I told you. They have the  video.” I tell him.

“You should have told me earlier.” He runs a hand into his hair before he unexpectedly wraps his hand around mine. “Next time when something like this happens, tell me.”

I look at him; shocked for the most part as I say, “You trust me?”

“I do. And I need you to trust me, Carina. Tell me what happened from the night you were kidnapped up until now.”

I narrate it all to him from how Candle and Natalia kidnapped me with the help of Isabella.

I narrate how I was left for dead with all those men but dad came to ‘rescue me’.

I narrate how his rescue turn into a kidnap of its own. I narrate it all.

“I knew Candle was bad but I did not think she was that bad.” He tells me. “I am sorry you had to go through all that. Fuck. I am sorry I even defended Candle.”

“It is in the past now.” I tell him and I mean it. “No more secrets.”

He nods before he takes a deep breath and opens up about something. “That woman I was with at the café is my therapist. I want to be better for us, Carina.”

An overwhelming surge of joy comes over me, and without thinking too much about it I say, “I love you, Salvatore. I love you a lot and I am so sick of pretending I do not.”

“I love you more, Carina. I will spend the rest of my life proving that to you.” He tells me before I smile — the widest smile I have ever smiled around him. I let all the walls fall and allow myself to feel loved. And seen and understood.