Chapter 2: Damien

^Damien^

"We can't leave without her" I growled stopping in front of a pissed of Aofie. "I know! That males scent was all over her." Aofie grunted out his fist sinking into the tree next to him. I could understand her frustration with Aofie, he was an idiot not mating her as soon as he had the opportunity. Yet, I could not understand why she avoided me like the plague. "We need to see Cassandra. She's the closest to our mate." Aofie nodded his nostrils flaring as he attempted to rain in his anger. I was just as angry as he was, I did not like the scent of another male on her. Something was not right about that Nate guy.

We walked through the pack side by side, many of the unmated females watched us. One, in particular, had the courage to come up to us. "Hello, Gamma Aofie, Warrior Damien. How are-" Aofie cut her off. "Alpha. Alpha Aofie." He grumbled out crossing his arms in irritation. "YOU are an Alpha?" She questioned her nose turning up and taking a big whiff of his scent. Her eyes turned dark at the realization. "My apologies, Alpha." She purred. I sensed Aofie stiffen next to me, most likely in the discomfort of the female showing her interest. The woman walked closer her arm sliding over Aofies. "Stop right there you slimy bitch!" Cassandra's voice rang out from the packhouse. The woman cringed turning around to face her Luna. "Did you just call me a bitch?" She asked glaring at Cassandra. "I did, now begone before I have my mates kick you out of our pack." Cassandra growled as she waddled over to us. The female huffed before stalking off 

Her stomach preceded her as she kept a hand on it. Aofie instantly relaxed a gracious smile presenting on his face. "Thank you, Cassie." He smiled. After a couple of months, I had been working with Aofie I learned that he does not show emotion often. Any emotion he did show was usually anger. Cassandra was the only one he smiled around or seemed even relatively soft with. "No problem, Aof. Wheres Serenity?" She asked looking around us. "Still in her cabin." I answered with a sigh. "Is she still being stubborn?" Cassandra asked rubbing her stomach in slow circles. "Yes," Aofie grumbled. "I have a pack to train and control. I can not do that from here and without my mate." Aofie bellowed his hands running through his hair loosening his bun. Cassandra layed a hand on his shoulder, sadness on her face. While he calmed down slightly, she was not his mate so her touch was not enough. "I'll talk to her-" I stopped Cassandra midsentence. " I'll stay behind. You go back to the pack. I'll see if I can at least get her to come back with me." I offered. Aofie looked at me for a second, we both had trust in each other. We had worked together for such a long time. Aofie nodded his eyes speaking thanks more than his word.

After Aofie departed I decided to visit my mother in the kitchen. Walking through the packhouse I nodded at old friends, many of which bowed their head in respect. Hmm...odd. "Oh, mother!" I called turning the corner into the kitchen. "Yes, Dear?" My mother's voice called back. I walked in to find her standing at the counter mixing and cutting up ingredients for dinner. "What are you making?" I asked coming to stand next to her. "Chicken and Dumplings." She answered rolling a piece of dough through her hands. "Mmm, my favorite." I chuckled. "Why don't you make your famous chocolate cake? I'm sure the Alphas would appreciate it." I nodded grabbing the frilly apron from the closet and sliding it over my large body.

My mother and I cooked in harmony as we talked about light subjects. Baking and cooking was something I learned from my mother after my father passed before my birth it was just my mother and me. She taught me everything I needed to know, cooking, cleaning, and being strong. She was the reason I had refused to sleep with others before finding my mate. The love she spoke of between her and my father fueled me to become a good mate. So I've waited, not allowing a female any closer than friendship, I wanted my mate to be my first and my last.

"So, about your mate..." My mother began as she cleaned pots and pans. "She's absolutely magnificent. Her beautiful silver eyes sparkle when she speaks, her gorgeous brown skin reminds me of the most wonderful taste of chocolate. I do not mind that she is an oracle, in fact, I admire her for it. Oracles do not have it easy like the rest of us, they have shifters watching their every move, constantly pushing them to speak to the moon goddess and ask her questions. I want to support her when I saw her it was love at first sight." I rambled on about Serenity, I never stopped thinking about her.

"Then why haven't you claimed her yet? Shouldn't she be staying with you and Aofie over at his pack?" My mother asked wiping her hands on a dishtowel her face marred with worry lines. I sighed. "That's where the problem is. I know she had a rocky start with Aofie, but I have no clue why she has been avoiding me. I get that I look rather intimidating with my size and all. But shouldn't the mate bond diminish her fears?" I was confused, she never gave me a chance. "Maybe you have to show her-" My mother stopped mid-sentence her lips curling into a sweet smile. My nose turned up at the approaching scent of my mate. I went back to decorating my cakes smoothing chocolate around it.

"Good evening, Elaine. Is dinner ready-" Serenity's sweet voice slowed her attention zeroing in on me. I looked up to her burning gaze and smirked as I licked the icing off my finger. Cassandra stood behind her with her mates flanking both sides. Cassandra's lip turned up in disgust. "Ew," she stated simply. "I made a cake." I bribed my eyes never leaving a stunned Serenity. "Your famous chocolate cake?" Josiah asked his face breaking out into a wide smile. "Of course." I answered setting the cakes down in the center of the table.

Serenity never moved from her spot at the door, yet her eyes were glued to me. Taking off the apron I placed it back into the closet and turning, making my way over to my mate. Stopping in front of her I admired her smaller body she came just below my shoulders. Leaning down I whispered into her ear. "Why don't I show you my garden and cook you a special meal. I'm sure you'll love my tulips." The shiver that racked through her body did not go unnoticed. Taking her hand in mine I lead her out of the kitchen and towards my hidden hut.