| nineteen |

GRACEN.

she smiled, staring at him as he ate his sandwich. never in her life has gracen seen such a beautiful man like spencer reid. "spencer..."

his head snapped up as he replied with a "yeah?" with his full attention on her.

"you know, i don't know a lot about you." gracen started. "i mean, i know about your mother and the genetics thing, but other than that—"

"—there's not much." he chuckled, running a hand through his messy waves. "i-i mean, i can tell you about my dad."

"yeah. i was gonna ask you." gracen was genuinely curious.

"my dad left my mom when i was young because of her illness. there was this case...about this boy named riley jenkins." he cleared his throat, fiddling with his fingers uncomfortably. "i had dreams of my father killing him."

her eyes widened, and she nodded for him to continue.

"i went to las vegas to try to figure out what had happened. but-but it turned out that my mom found out the killer, gary michaels, was stalking me. i was going to be his next target, i think."

"jesus spencer, i'm so sorry."

he shook his head. "riley's father ended up being the one who killed gary michaels. my mom was there when it happened, and my dad had to burn the her clothes because there was blood on it." spencer smiled sheepishly at gracen. "that's pretty much it."

a soft smile made its way up to her face. "where's your dad now?"

"summerlin. he's an attorney. we don't keep in touch." spencer said. "but i'm fine with that."

she chuckled. glad that she knew one more thing about spencer. "thank you for telling me."

spencer nodded. "yeah, i have a plethora of crazy stories from my job also."

"enlighten me."

"well, there was this one case where we had to go to boston. there were a bunch of murders where people were strangled with household equipment like cable wires. when we caught the unsub—"

"what's an unsub?" gracen suddenly interrupted.

"oh yeah," spencer chuckled. "unsub is short for unknown subject." when spencer saw her eyebrows only furrowed deeper, he explained. "the bad guy."

"ah." she nodded.

"—after we arrested the unsub, his wife started to give birth to her child. we didn't have time to take her to the hospital, so—"

"—don't tell me you helped deliver a baby." gracen deadpanned.

a proud smile made its way up to his face. "i helped deliver the baby."

her jaw dropped. that was the hottest thing a man could ever do. in her opinion. to everyone else it was probably weird but whatever. "h-how?"

"well, i studied it while jj was pregnant in case she was ever gonna give birth in the field." he shrugged. "took me like two minutes to read the book on it and memorize the steps, so it wasn't that big of a deal."

"wow. you're amazing." the girl replied in awe, resting her chin on the palm of her hand.

spencer blushed, smiling. "thanks. not bragging or anything but they named the baby after me. it's one of my proudest moments."

she grinned as spencer sat in deep nostalgia. gracen was genuinely happy for him, but something inside of her made her feel a little hopeless. a man like spencer, who spends everyday saving lives, with a girl who does what, answer calls? it was ridiculous.