| twenty |

SPENCER.

"wheels up in 30." aaron hotch said, quickly walking out of the conference room. there was a certain urgency to his tone, and everyone could tell he was nervous about the case.

everyone was, in fact. the new case garcia had presented them with was unlike any that they've worked with. usually, hunting down typical serial killers was their go to. but they were now dealing with an unsub that had the ability to control and crash airplanes. the recent attack resulted in almost 151 deaths.

"this is insane." jj mumbled to herself.

"i'm not one to be a pessimist, but how the heckity honey cakes am i supposed to track down a plane hijacker??" garcia shuffled her papers around, waddling away in her 6-inch heels.

"seeing her stressed is really something else." morgan commented slyly.

"hey, how long do you think this case will take?" spencer asked rossi.

the aged man looked up. "probably a couple of days, why?"

the doctor shook his head. "just wondering."

"something rushing you home?" morgan asked. "or rather, someone?"

"fudge off." reid nudged the man, walking out of the room.

gracen got a text later that day, spencer telling her he'd be gone a couple of days on a case—much to gracen's disappointment. she started to understand why it would be so difficult dating someone like spencer.

but this was good. distance was good. gracen concluded last night after their little date that she'd be slowly exiting spencer's life now.

she knew it had to end sooner or later, either she leaves him now or he will later on. gracen didn't want her heart broken. she didn't want to risk spencer getting hurt, either.

gracen pieced it together when spencer told her he couldn't call her for those five months. it was his boss, most likely, that prevented him from contacting her because it'd be too dangerous. but now, things would go back to normal.

she closed her phone, not replying to spencer's text before sighing, resting her head in the palms of her hands. she felt guilty for the plan she had already established in her mind long before their date last night.

"what's up char?" marvin's voice snapped her out of her deep thoughts, and she looked up.

"yeah? nothing." gracen mumbled.

"drinks tonight?" another voice joined, and gracen saw joyce jones, one of the friends she's made at the office. the two shared a last name, but of course joyce didn't know about gracen jones. her and marvin only knew about charis johnson.

"yes. i need it." gracen said.

"i'm assuming we're not going to a gay bar?" marvin asked.

the two girls' heads snapped at him. "no." they said in unison.

"but don't worry marv, there are plenty closeted men in the dark, dreaded sea of the straights."  joyce said dramatically.