| twenty-one |

SPENCER.

on the plane ride back, spencer couldn't help but dote on the fact that gracen had invited some guy over while he was on a case. she didn't even answer his texts or calls from before.

they weren't dating. it's not like there were any loyalty rules. but it made spencer's heart ache realizing that gracen only thought of him as just another man she was fooling around with. he wasn't special. but gracen jones made him sure feel like it.

"dammit." spencer agitatedly cursed as he poured boiling hot water on his hand, missing his coffee cup.

"spencer, what's going on?" kate callahan, one of the new agents that joined the bau, asked as she made her way to the back of the jet.

"water." spencer replied plainly, rubbing his hand.

"no, seriously. you've been pissy for the past couple of days while we've been on this case." callahan commented. when spencer didn't say a word, she let out a sigh. "look, i know we're not close or anything, but will you at least tell me what's going on?"

spencer shook his head. "it's nothing."

"is it that girl?"

his head snapped up, clearly confused at how easy it was for her to figure it out. "what girl?"

"come on, morgan and everyone else know that you met someone. prentiss says you act like a teenage boy in love." she deadpanned. "so it is."

"god, i just don't understand why i'm so gullible." he mumbled. "i-i get fooled so easily, which i shouldn't because my iq is literally 187–"

"okay, calm down." callahan placed a hand on his shoulder. "first of all, that's cool. second of all, have you ever tried getting into her mind? you're a profiler, it should be easy to understand what's going on in her head to think like that."

spencer shook his head. "i literally can't figure her out. she's-she's just so—"

"wait wait wait, can you tell me who it is at least?" kate asked.

"gracen jones, she's—" spencer suddenly froze. gulping hard as he realized that no one was supposed to know about gracen, only charis.

luckily, the unfamiliar name didn't ring a bell for callahan because she joined the bau after that case. "there's this thing girls do, spencer, that i think you should know about."

"what is it?" he asked.

"well, girls like to do this push and pull kinda thing. they like it when guys chase after them, like as a test." callahan said. "so don't make any assumptions just yet, alright kid?" she patted his back before leaving, making the woman making her way back to her seat.

"i'm trying." spencer mumbled to himself.

GRACEN.

it's been three days since she'd come in contact with spencer. gracen ignored his texts and calls, and whenever spencer was seen on the second floor, she would immediately "need to pee."