[6] A mutual goal

It only took me about half an hour to get out of patient clothes and into the uniform that was surprisingly complex. I could have dressed myself in just under a few minutes, but the sight of my new shiny arm was just too much for me to take in, every second I paused and just started at it, like it might blow up any second. Several times, Dr. Cherrylove had to snap her fingers right in front of me to remind me that reality is not a bomb dismemberment documentary. Rin's hologram retreated into her shell during the whole time I was changing. And while I stood in front of the large mirror and was straightening my collar, Dr. Cherry who was standing to the side, clasped her hand in delight and commented:

"You look fantastic in white! Can I get an autograph?"

Nothing about the uniform fit me; white gets dirty too easily, the general outfit was too high profile and the tie was just plain torture. But one thing I was thankful about the uniform was its long dress sleeves that hid my robotic arm and its bulkiness was covered by the layer of coat on top.

"I personally would prefer black." I replied, staring back at the mirror.

"You look fantastic either way! Ah, almost forgot to give you this."

In her hands was a single piece of folded white cloth. After a brief pause, I took the piece of cloth from her hand and began to unfold it. The object became strikingly clear. I felt like I was holding some sort of tiny venomous beast that could kill me at any moment, and each moment I held it, I could feel it's tendrils and claws slipping through my finger, making any sudden move would be my last. I tried to tear my eyes away from the object, but they wouldn't shift the slightest as if they were made of lead.

"Just in case you need it..." the doctor voice sounded distant, somewhere far off in a good place. Somewhere far away...But my focus was quickly shifted to the horror back in my hand, the nasty, the scariest, and the worst reminder of the price of my heroism:

A glove.

"Are you alright? I am so sorry, I shouldn't have done that..." She replied as she began to reach back for the glove. "Here I will take it away..."

"No..." I swung my hand back and began crumpling the glove in my good hand. "It's alright." I lied, with a little more grimace then I meant. Then without thinking twice I tucked the glove into my breast pocket. For a second, there was a look of worry on the doctor's face, but it faded as quickly as it came and was replaced by her signature big cheerful smile.

"Alright, let's head out then! Car's waiting for us at the bottom. And since we are in no hurry, do you want to do some grocery shopping first before we hit the campus?"

Judging from the blind enthusiasm in her voice at the time, 'no' wasn't an option. And it was then I realized I haven't been really eating any proper food for that past week, it was all vitamins through tubes and stuff, and to show how desperate I was for solid food at the time, just the thought of instant noodles made my mouth become a waterfall.

"Well, it's definitely a good sign that you got appetite." The doctor tried to conceal her laugh, but failed miserably at the merest attempt. "I suppose I can stop by a few restaurants, just make sure you don't eat the menu."

"I will try, wait. What time is it right now?"

"Four o' eight. What about the time?"

"I feel like it's a little too late for lunch and too early for dinner..." I paused briefly as I thought to work out the plan in my mind. "So I was wondering, can we go to the grocery first then dinner? Because I still need some time to think about what I want to eat..."
"Sushi!" Rin yelled sharply. As her merged from the blue hologram once again, arms crossed.

"Aren't you just a hologram? How can you even eat?" my tone at the time suggested, I had a strong inclination to slap some sense into her, too bad I still don't have cross dimensional powers.

"Pizza!"

"Wait!"

"Burger!"

"Are you even listening to me?"

"No wait...I just remember..."

"Remember what?"

"Stardelight's new Smores Frappuccino!"

"Oh what? They are bring it back again!" that was big news, certain drinks only come by certain weeks, once it gone, the cycle would have to wait for next year. And since I never got my hands on the true recipe, making it myself was pretty much impossible, though I admit the biggest factor was my laziness...

"It became available yesterday! And I heard they only make a hundred a day per store!"

I dropped all my dislike about Rin that moment, for our desire was mutual.

Regardless it's Humans, Elementals, Magelings or even an AI. Anyone who likes Stardelight's New Smores Frappuccino can't have a bad taste.
-Kardusenn Romello

Stardelight is the world's largest chain coffee house cooperation, with over 20,000 thousands shops set up all around the globe. Growing up, Stardelight had been like a second home to me, for most of my summer break, I would stay there all the way from opening till closed, just endlessly sipping coffee and typing on my keyboard. Heck, I even got the legendary diamond VIP card only given to its most diehard customers, I got mines from a contest and if the numbers are right, there is only a thousand of those in the entire world. And ever since I got the card, I became paranoid that someone was going to steal it or I was gonna lose it somehow, so in the end I decided to purposely hide it under my bed mattress and it hasn't seen sunlight ever since.

"Quick, to the nearest Stardelight!" as soon as the words left my mouth, there was this spark in Rin's eyes like minature suns. At the same time, I felt the same zealous passion just bursting through my veins and burning away all the dread built up inside that moment.
"There's one not far away from here, and my search engine shows me that there's still two left unsold today!"

"ON IT!" I was just about to break away and make a dash, but that's when I saw Dr. Cherrylove standing to the side, smile still wide on her face.

"You're the hero, you deserve that drink."

Leaving her behind made me feel kind of bad. But at that moment I just couldn't hold back the feeling anymore.

The feeling to be away from the dread, even for one more second...

"Thanks!" I waved goodbye to her and the last thing I saw before the door closed behind me was still that big cheery smile of her. And as soon as we exited the room and entered the hallway, I began to run, running so fast I was afraid I might get a speeding ticket from the cops, luckily there wasn't even a single soul in sight telling me to slow down.

Q: Is there a time you would kill for a drink?