[18] Not so friendly welcome

"Stop it all of you!" shouted Lebi.

"But Lebi..." the one named Yacob called from across the balcony.

"Anyone who lays a hand upon them will answer to me first!"

There was a certain weight of authority in her voice, for a moment there was only silence. Then one by one, the voices in the library stepped out into the light.

There were six hiding, making a total of twelve.

"Violence only breeds violence. I am glad everyone has come to their senses to stand here and talk peacefully."

Lebi's smile seemed to ease everyone's mood, like a mother making sure her children would stop fighting.

"But Lebi," Yacob said, "with your
skills and magic you could take out the entire mob..."

"I agree, Lebi is powerful enough," Jak said. He was in his mid-thirties.

"Do neither of you understand?" Lebi angrily stomped, starling them both. "If any of us uses magic to retaliate, we're only going to raise tensions between elementals and humans. That is basically giving them what they want!" Lebi sighed pressing her hand against her forehead.

"What happens if they come here then? Are we just going to sit here and get-" before Yacob could finish, Lebi cut him off with a sharp voice:

"We do nothing!" then quickly added with a small a voice: "Yes, we stay here and do nothing."

"I agree with Lebi, she is certainly right." Isa stepped up causing all eyes to turn.

"I know you cannot fight back, but we can. Me and fresh meat here." She continued folding her arms.

Lebi weighted the pros and cons for a moment before replying, "Indeed, but how can you be sure the consequences of your actions won't affect us?"

"As soldiers we do not make promises. We simply do our best to prevent that from happening. You have my word."

After quietly nodding to herself several times and mumbling something, Lebi replied, "very well, then how do you plan to avoid the consequences?"

"Is there a surveillance camera on this compound?" Isa questioned instead.

"There are a dozen sight stones covering the courtyard. But there is only one surveillance camera inside the mansion, which is right there." Lebi pointed to the chandelier hanging from the ceiling. "There are a dozen sight stones surrounding the garden and a dozen more inside the mansion. But..."

"Humans don't trust elemental gadgets." Isa finished the sentence for her.

"Indeed." Lebi agreed with sincerity.

"One surveillance camera will be enough." Isa looked up. "If they come, let them in."

"Let them in? Are you crazy? See what I mean? She is defiantly a spy!" Yacob spat pointing at a finger at her accusingly.

"Yacob!" Lebi shouted, Yacob jumped back a step. "Do me a favor and go to the office upstairs, I will talk to you later."

"Lebi..."

"Go." Lebi snapped. Yacob, like a grumpy child who got hustled by his mom. Made every single of his step upstairs clear of his anger, ending with a thunderous slam of what might be his bedroom door.

"I am sorry to let you see this happen. Yacob can be very immature sometimes. I am really really sorry." Lebi bowed in apology.

"No, no, no! It's fine; there is no need for you to apologize." I said, cutting in.