[35] A mutual path

The darkness of the tunnel seemed to stretch out forever; a little like the silence between us but no where near as oppressive. Even though I was an introvert, under the circumstances: trapped in dark space with a strange girl, I couldn't help but prompt a conversation:

"Where are we?"

There was no reply.

I guess I have to try harder than that...

"Do you know actually know your way out of here?"

She was no more forthcoming this time.

Guess its time to switch topics...

"Wait, were you born a rebel or did you join them later?"

"If you keep on talking I will kill you," she said without turning around.

"You already tried killing me, didn't work. And come on, I feel like it's pretty cool to be a rebel."

"You know nothing."

"Hey, I understand you fight against the government, and honestly I don't like those people either. They're just a bunch of incompetent liars anyways."

"Hmph. I don't take words from military dogs."

"Well, it's fine if you don't believe me. But think about it this way, by chatting with me, you can get information about the government out of me and that aides your rebel cause. Win–win situation for both of us, right?"

"A dog who betrays his owner is even more degrading." She turned and walked on.

"Hey, they are not my owner and to hell they do not own me. Curse them actually. If they did a better job with security in the first place, I wouldn't have lost my arm. In fact, if Soulsteel and the government were sitting in a room together, I would whoop both their asses at the same time." I said without drawing any breath in between, earning myself a quick glance from Kuro.

The air stiffened a little as we continued to walk in the darkness. Several times I almost tripped. It wasn't because of the darkness, but rather the ground was slippery and the path had become narrower.

"Your arm, and legs; how did you lose them?" Kuro voice hinted curiosity.

"Do you really want to know?" I asked with a chuckle.

She sneered at my response and went on at the same pace, so I kept talking:

"Alright I was just messing with you. My arm...well, you know the Deathwalker attack in Ayre from 2 months ago, right?"

Her pace began to slow down, but none the less she kept walking.

"I was there that time." I finished off.
She stopped in her tracks at once, turned around, and stared at me. No, she nailed them right through me with the single red glowing eye in the center of her mask. Then spoke with deep resentful tone I have never thought was humanly possible:

"The Iron Fist did not conduct such attacks. It must be the government themselves."

"So you're saying, the government is targeting its own people, then victimizing itself, which gives them a proper excuse to attack you guys?"
She was speechless for a moment, but a few seconds later she turned away and kept on walking again.

"If you know, then why do you ask?" she said with an edge of sneer.

"Well, as you can see I am conspiracy guy. It's just not really safe to speak your mind these days, with all the surveillance and stuff."

She made no comment, so I seized the chance and continued:

"I saw on a secret website before, about the truth of why the government wants to get rid of the rebels. The first rebel leader, Sayan Reins who was a solider and the senior commander of Rhir Bloodrazor during the early days of the Shadow War. It was written in the textbooks that around halfway through the war he fled and was branded a traitor for selling information to the elementals; but that was the text book of course. The article I found said that the information he uncovered was about the truth behind the Shadow War and the higher powers that controls the government. So really, he wasn't selling information, but rather pleading for help from the enemies to get rid of the internal corruption." I said.