Chapter 11 - What Happens Next

38 Days Since We Left Home - 1 Day Since Kidnapped:

Joel Smallbone's POV: 

    I had made the phone call to Brooke's parents and it was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done and ever will do. I've only known Brooke for a short time but now that she's gone I realize that I counted her among my friends. Yes, maybe she was 13, but she acted like an adult and also had the innocence of a kid. Both are good qualities in a person. 

    Brooke's parents decided to cut their work trip short and are coming home in the morning. James and Kyle are taking it hard but I think they're strengthening and confiding in each other. The police are trying to find her, saying she could be in a so-much mile radius but that doesn't help Brooke in the meantime. I told them about the green car and the two guys but they didn't think it applied to Brooke even though the car seemed to vanish. 

     I can only hope whatever she's going through will end soon. I can only pray that God can bring her back to us safe and unhurt. 

     "Joel?" Moriah asked quietly. We were currently sitting together on the couch, watching a movie that I had lost interest in. "What's the matter?" I replied, turning to look at her. Moriah was watching me and I realized the movie had been paused. "You're thinking about Brooke, aren't you?" When I said nothing, she continued, "You know it wasn't your fault, right?  If it's anyone's fault then it's the person who took her." 

    I nodded, and Moriah leaned her head against my shoulder. She let out a sigh and said softly, "I just wish we had any sort of lead... I hope she's all right..." I stood up straighter and said, "Hey, don't talk like that. I'm sure she's fine and finding her way home right now. Don't give up hope so soon." Moriah mumbled, "Okay." and I also sighed. 

     "I'm sure she's okay, "I repeated, wishing that saying it would only make it true. 

                                                             ꧁꧂

If only saying it could make it true...  

If only they knew... 

If only they could see...

Because then they would know and see their hope was small and would not last for long.  

                                                             ꧁꧂

    I wish I had never run away. 

    I wish I had never taken a step out of that house.

    I wish I could be home and right now, I don't care where home is. 

A/N: Yes, it's a short chapter, but I wanted to split it up into two parts because it's better to have two medium-sized-ish chapters than one extremely long chapter, I think. I will publish both parts at the same-ish time, though! 

Brooke will eventually be fine, don't worry. Or do worry, because perhaps you should...

Oooh, suspense and foreshadowing... 😮😉😂

Vote if you like the story so far!! 😊❤️