Chapter 12 - IDon'tWantToBeHere

359 Days Since We Left Home - 324 Days Since Kidnapped:

Brooke Keye's POV:

  Idon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehereIdon'twanttobehere. 

    "Brooke?" Joel's voice startled me and I jumped out of my thoughts into the real world. His face was soft, pitying, and I hated it. I also hated being here, at the hospital. "A check-up," he said, and even if it was just that, I didn't want to be here. "Brooke, you okay?" Joel said again and I glanced at him from the corner of my eye. 

    "Yes, " I said coldly. Joel sighed and continued talking, "Your family should be here any minute." I nodded with no response. What will they say? What will I say? I turned away from Joel so he wouldn't see me stopping my tears. I don't know myself anymore so how can they? How can Joel? 

    "What are you thinking about?" My gaze went back to Joel and I stared at him, emotionless as I hoped. "Nothing." I replied. Or at least that I could tell you. "I don't understand why you're so cold around me, Brooke. I know you're carrying a burden but if you just told me something, I could help you carry it." Joel said, his voice cracking a bit. 

    Stone-cold. I am stone-cold. Why am I stone-cold? "Maybe this burden is more complicated than you could ever know. Maybe I don't know how to put it into words. Maybe I don't even have words." I answered. Joel rested his hand on my shoulder and I tried not to flinch. "When you're ready, I will be here along with every other person who wants to help you through this." was his only response, then he moved his hand off of my shoulder.

    Stone-cold. I am stone-cold. Why am I stone-cold? "Brooke? Brooke!? BROOKE!" screamed a voice I hadn't heard for a while. I turned my head, surprise written all over my face. There's no way - it's impossible. Am I dreaming? 

    Could it really be...?

A/N: Who do you think it is? 😏