Chapter 13 - Unexpected Reunion

359 Days Since We Left Home - 324 Days Since Kidnapped:

Brooke Keye's POV:

   How is this possible? Of all the places, of all the times, of all the cities. How is she here? 

    "Brooke!!" Britt shouted, shoving her way through the crowd and dashing down the hallway. My feet finally reacted to my demands and I hurried towards her. We almost collided in the middle and I could see tears running down her face while feeling them run down my own. She hugged me tightly and I could feel myself shaking against her. Britt dug her hand into my back and I winced, pulling away.

    "Sore spot, sorry-" I started to say causally but her eyes went wide as she connected the lines. "He beat you?!" she exclaimed, anger rising in her tone. "Britt, I'm fine-" I protested but her gaze darkened and she proceeded to call Adam every single bad thing she could think of. I winced at some of them since most of them were just random words slung together in an effort to curse him. 

    "Britt, I promise I'm okay," I said, interrupting her as she paused to take a breath. "Oh my goodness, are you sure? Why are you here then? How are you here?" Britt said breathlessly. I rolled my eyes and pointed to Joel who was still standing where I left him, a confused expression on his face. "He made me come for a check-up and I'm here because..." Then I proceeded to explain to how I had found Joel or how Joel had found me.  

    Suddenly, Britt was hugging me once more (being careful this time) and she whispered, "I'm so sorry-" "Brooke, who's this?" interrupted Joel who had popped up behind me. I jumped slightly and Britt's grip tightened on my shoulder. "This is Britt... a fellow girl of Adam's. She tried to protect me from Adam but he ended up separating us so I haven't seen her in a while." I explained then turned to Britt and continued, "What happened in between then and now?" 

    Britt's eyes turned sad and she replied, "He gave me to one of his buddies, Jacke, but Jacke was so drunk all the time it was easy to get out. I tried looking for you but Adam made sure I couldn't trace anything back to where you were. I've been back with my family for about 4 months, going here for therapy and checkups." Britt's head dropped and she murmured, "I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you more..." 

     I made her look me in the eyes then said, almost forcefully, "Don't talk like that. You sacrificed your body and innocence to protect my own and I'm infinity thankful. There was no way you could have stopped Adam, and you know that." Britt sighed and pulled me into another hug. 

    "When did you get so wise, kiddo?" she said softly into my ear. I rolled my eyes and joked, "I've always been wise, you just haven't acknowledged it." Britt snorted but her eyes softened as she pulled away, "You wish but I'm just glad you're here." 

     "Brooke Keye?" a nurse called, glancing around the room. Britt grabbed my hand and walked with us as we went to the nurse. The nurse smiled at me and told us to follow her. Joel stayed behind, even without me having to ask, however, Britt came along.

     "The doctor will be here shortly." the nurse explained. I nodded and pushed myself onto the examination table. The paper rustled underneath me as I shifted uncomfortably. "Calm down, I was nervous too but the doctors are nice and understand what you've been through-" Britt started to say but the door opened, cutting her off. 

     The doctor walked in but I avoided his gaze, staring at the floor. Britt, however, suddenly gasped and I heard her chair squeaking as she bolted upright. I looked up and saw the doctor smiling at me with fake kindness. 

    I had hoped I would never see that face again.  

A/N: Double update on non-scheduled update days! 🎉 I can't just leave it in so much suspense. However, this may be worse but more predictable. (which was on purpose.) No, it's not Robert Downey Jr. that entered as the doctor. I mean, that would be pretty cool, but when had Brooke ever met him before? 

Anyways. 

Have a nice day/night/evening/morning!