Chapter 14 - In The Blink Of An Eye

359 Days Since We Left Home - 0 Days Since Kidnapped:

Brooke Keye's POV:

    "You're not welcome here," Britt said coldly. No matter how controlled she was over her tone, I knew she was terrified on the inside - just like me. Adam rolled his eyes and replied, "I don't believe I asked," I sat there, mute, watching their interaction but Adam's eyes remained on me. 

     "You missed me, love?" he asked. I gave no response. He stepped closer to me and, in a much quieter tone, said, "If you don't cooperate, we might just see what it takes to get your friend to scream..." My mouth immediately opened and I answered like I had been forced to, "Yeah, I missed you." 

     Adam snorted and said, "Your compassion makes you weak. Anyone can use anyone to make you do what they want." Britt spoke up angrily, "No, compassion lets you see what true love is. You wouldn't understand." Britt hadn't heard what he had said but knew enough to figure it out. 

    Adam whirled around and glared at her menacingly, "If you don't shut your mouth, you'll regret it. All I'm doing is retrieving what is mine, is that not right?" Britt glared back and answered, "No, it's not right since Brooke's not yours to begin with-" Adam was in front of her in seconds, pulling a small square of cloth out of his pocket and pressing it to Britt's mouth. 

    "NO!" I screamed but Adam shot me a glance and I knew he could do much more than just knock Britt out. Britt's struggles became weaker and weaker until she faded into unconsciousness. Adam threw the cloth away and returned his attention to me. 

    "Now, are you going to be a good girl and come with me or do I need to drag you?" he asked, not even trying to hide his fury this time. I stared at him with mixed fear and sadness. "I'm coming," I replied. 

Joel Smallbone's POV: 

    The nurse hadn't come back and neither had the two girls. I was starting to get worried but seeing familiar faces calmed me down. "Andy! Caren! Over here!" I shouted, getting their attention. They both looked worried but hope shone on their faces. "Joel! Where's Brooke? Is she okay? Is she hurt?" Caren said, worry eating away at her tone. 

     "The nurse took her into the back with a friend she was reunited with. She's fine, beat-up but won't be broken." I explained quickly. Caren nodded and went to the front desk where I watched her talk to the nurse then disappear through the door Brooke and Britt went through. 

    Andy sat down beside me and fidgeted with the leather peeling off the armrests. "Did she tell you anything?" he asked quietly. Eyes sad, I answered, "A bit. From what little she told me is that she was in human trafficking and Adam is the name of the person who-" 

    A scream tore through the silence. The door opened and Caren rushed back out. "She's gone," she said, her voice cracking. Andy and I were up in seconds, following her back to the room. Britt was slouched in a chair, blinking frequently. I went to her and asked softly, "What happened?" 

    Britt stared at me, eyes dull, and said, "He drugged me and took her." Suddenly realizing the weight of the situation, her eyes drooped and she started sobbing. "I'm so sorry - I tried to stop him - everything just happened so quickly..." she whispered. "Who? Who took her?" Andy said, his voice starting to sound angry. 

    Britt looked up and met my eye, "Adam." 

    I was on the phone with a police officer in seconds. 

A/N: I'm sorry, yes it is Adam, but you'll just have to wait and see what happens. Maybe Brooke will never be found, or maybe she'll be found in a few minutes. I mean, how far can he get?