Chapter 6 - W-why?

Since they start traveling again, both Ye Zun and Da Qing has been bickering non-stop. Even when Shen Wei attempts to stop them but it was quite unsuccessful. So Yunlan tells Shen Wei to ignore them and just let them be. They'll probably stop when tired or maybe when one of them successfully kill the other.

So even if Yunlan also has to endure until he can almost feel his vein popping, he still let them bicker making loud noises throughout the forest. He's sure that if there are demons nearby they would have known their existent and attack. But surprisingly no demons are showing up. 

There are many possible explanation for this such as there's really no demons around here or maybe it's waiting for the right time to attack. The former choice is what Yunlan wants but something inside of him is telling him that he'll get the later choice. So the question is when is the right time that the demon is looking for.

Once entering the area where the trees seem to become denser, it gives Yunlan a chilly feeling in which it doesn't take long for the confirmation as Shen Wei step on something.

Crack

Both turns to one another with a worried expression. Heaven beings like themselves don't make sound with their footsteps even when stepping on dry leaves. Yet something that Shen Wei steps on resulted with a sound.

It's definitely a trap.

They don't have to wait for long when a thick vine suddenly shoots out from the dark heading directly towards them. Yunlan and Shen Wei dodge at the same time. The vine continues forward and penetrate the tree that's in between the bickering Ye Zun and Da Qing making both stop instantly. But before they react, the vine has retract back from where it came from.

All of them becomes highly alert but still remain where they are to see if anything would happen next. Few seconds later was all it takes for the new attack to occur. However, the vine that attack is not from the previous direction. It tries to attack Yunlan from behind but he could dodge it swiftly making it retract back.

It seems that the first 2 attacks are just test trials; when they start to hear ruffling sound from all directions. Soon numerous number of vines from every directions attack the 4 of them at the same time. The attack is faster and more continuous in which dodging them only is not a good choice.  Now they have to counter attack as well. Swords and dagger are unsheathed to cut down the attacking vines that attempts to separate them from one another.

Despite the enemy's effort to separate them apart, Shen Wei is capable of removing all obstacles that's in between him and Yunlan. Soon, he's back by Yunlan's side again.

On the other hand, Da Qing uses a dagger and he quickly jumps around the tree branches to avoid and counter the attacking vines but it's somewhat inconvenience so he change to use his power 'the enhanced cat's claw' which can help take out another portion of the attack. But this power of his is quite energy consuming. The longer he fights, the more tired and slower he become.

Yunlan knows of Da Qing's limitation but he couldn't get close to him. Every time he tries to approach, the attack on him intensifies making him retreat a few steps. So he sets up a barrier first, then tries to find a way to get his friend.

Due to exhaustion, when Da Qing is about to jump again, he lost his footing causing him to slip and fall from the tree. Yet Ye Zun appears out of nowhere and jumps up towards the falling boy. With high level of accuracy, Ye Zun catches Da Qing into his arms in mid air, then he safely lands on the big branch.

If you were to ignore the crazily wriggling vines, you would find that Da Qing and Ye Zun looks somewhat like lovers hugging each other after separating for a long time. But as mentioned the attacking vines totally ruin this romantic moment.