Chapter 16 : The Red Glare

-28 Years Ago-

Orias awoke late at night to the sounds impacts landing. Someone was assaulting another person within his house. It seemed that his younger brother, Toby Orias, was still sound asleep in the bed across from him. Frightened, the eight-year old Orias gently walked towards his door and slowly twisted the door knob. 

Orias' father, a skinny man named Keith Orias, held a broken beer bottle in his left hand, attempting to keep it away from his wife. Orias' mother, a slender woman with black hair and eyes named Kira Orias threw several punches at Keith. He quickly deflected them all before pushing her away with his right palm. 

"Enough, Kira!" he said calmly. He was breathing very heavily, to the point of  exhaustion. It was clear to Orias' young mind that he had been fighting his mother for quite a long time. 

"NooOOoo! Gimmie More!" Kira shouted back, slurring her words terribly. She was horribly drunk, something that scared Orias at the time. His mother was an abusive drunk, as shown by the wounds on Keith's body. Several bruises and scratches covered him. Though he could easily detain her, Keith Orias was generally a very kind person. So kind in fact that he would rather die than lay a hand on his drunk, abusive wife. 

Kira tilted her head slightly, a wicked smile covering her face. 

"What the..." Keith exclaimed as Kira dashed forward, swinging her right arm in an attempt to claw out Keith's eyes. Luckily, Keith activated his shadow semblance in time for the blow to pass through him. His dark eyes carefully scanned his wife. Something was terribly wrong with her. The level of speed she possessed at that time was leagues above any that she had shown beforehand. Then, his eyes widened. 

"I knew you never should have taken those pills." Keith said as Kira angrily lashed out at him once more. Her eyes suddenly glowed red, a dangerous sign. Normal humans never had their eyes turned red unless a  semblance was present and Kira had no semblance. Suddenly, Kira's hands began producing red lightning. 

"Give. Me. The. Bottle." Kira said, rather strongly for someone who was horribly drunk. 

"Leonard. Get your brother out of the house. Now!" Keith shouted as he noticed his son peaking in to the living room. Kira turned around, a sinister smile covering her face as her wild red eyes landed on him. Orias backed away from the door, the movement causing the wooden structure to slowly open and reveal his room. Orias was frozen with fear at that time, unable to comprehend the sight before him. THe only thought running rampant through his mind was the look of pure.... Orias lacked a better word other than evil to describe his mother. Keith suddenly materialized in front of him, taking a defensive stance. 

"Leonard Orias, do as I say and get your brother out of here!" Keith shouted as Kira dashed towards him, her hand covered in red lightning. Orias quickly awoke his brother, and ran out of the house. 

It was only when the two had reached the other end of the street that they noticed the flames arising from their house.

That was the last time Orias had ever seen his parents. 

---

Orias stepped into the orphanage, his eyes instantly landing on Marss breaking Locker's leg.

"Marss. Stand down." Orias commanded. Saturn held his neck with his own hands, attempting to breathe once more. He was temporarily disabled thanks to Marss' choke hold earlier. 

"No." Marss replied, reaching down to grab Locker's other leg. Orias suddenly appeared in front of him, grabbing Marss' arm and preventing him from continuing his torture. 

"It was an order." Orias stated blankly. Even as he held Marss' wrist, he knew something was wrong with him. Marss' enraged eyes suddenly locked on to Orias' own eyes before a punch was thrown. Orias allowed the punch to phase through him, however in doing so his grip on Marss' wrist disappeared. Marss leaped backward, making space between the two. 

"I don't care. This man is dying. Today." Marss said, pointing at Locker. Orias glanced down at the near broken man who was groaning from the pain Marss had inflicted on him. He then returned his gaze towards Marss. 

"I can't allow that." Orias declared. Their eyes locked once more after Orias' statement. In that moment, it was as if time paused. Marss' eyes flashed red, just like the night Orias' mother lost her mind. Marss' eyes quickly flashed back to their original grey brilliance before Marss charged at him. He appeared in front of Orias, something that shocked him. His right arm was pulled backward, preparing to throw a violent punch,  

Marss had never demonstrated this level of speed before, even with his semblance active. Orias quickly activated his ability, attempting to let the blow phase harmlessly through him. Orias was shocked when Marss' punch connected with his chin. So shocked in fact that Orias was left vulnerable as he attempted to figure out was going on in that moment. 

Marss quickly followed up with a left uppercut, a blow that knocked Orias slightly into the air. In that one instant, Orias' mind went over hundreds of possible reasons as to why ihs semblance failed. One theory stood out above every possible option Orias could think of. Orias spun his  body mid-air, quickly pulling his dark rapier from a shroud that appeared in his hands. He quickly slashed at Marss, successfully landing a cut to Marss' right arm. 

With that slash, Orias confirmed his theory. If both of them activated his semblance at the same time, though normal attacks would phase through if they attacked each other their attacks would connect. 

A tricky situation. One untimely blow and either of the two would become victorious over the other.  In theory, Orias would be able to dodge Marss' blow by deactivating his semblance while Marss had his activated. This would mean Marss would pass through him harmlessly. 

Marss readied himself. He would need to end this quickly. Any more battling might cause an influx of power, just like the night his mother lost her mind. If the situations were at all similar, the level of power Marss displayed in their confrontation earlier was likely just a taste of what his current strength was capable of. 

One blow. One blow to incapacitate him. That was all Orias would need.