"happy birthday" {bokuaka}

bokuto koutarou x akaashi keiji

yikes yikes i feel like my writing is getting stale i promise i'll write better soon
«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

September 20th... Bokuto's birthday.

Today was that day, and the date sprung up on me quick. Of course, I didn't forget Bokuto's birthday or anything, I'm just rather embarrassed to give him my present.

I walk down the halls of Fukurodani as I continue my redundant school routines. I readjust my tie as I nod to my mutual friends in the hallway before I hear heavy footsteps approach me from behind.

When you tolerate someone for this long, you end up knowing everything about them. To the way Bokuto talks, to how to deal with his moodswings and even his likes and interests I know everything in between about this man. Many people applaud me for it, but it's not that hard. I'm just being observant.

So when I hear his footsteps approach me, I mentally prepare myself for socialization and the loud ringing of his voice in one of my ears, whichever shoulder he decides to lean on this time.

"Hey hey hey! Akaashi!" Bokuto swings his arm around me as expected at this point as he raises his voice to greet me. Many people whisper while walking by about Bokuto's 3rd year presence in a lower hallway while members from our team snicker towards me as they walk by, my teammates not helping me out of my situation.

"Bokuto-san, not so loud..." I trail off. He whispers an apologetic sorry. I clench my jaw as he leans on me while we walk.

"Did ya get me anything for my birthday this year Keiji?" I glance at him when I uncharacteristically hear my first name before replying to his simple minded question.

"Yeah, but I'll give it to you later," I say while focusing my attention on getting to my lunch period.

"Ooh~ scandalous! Are you suggesting something~?" Bokuto unusually coos while he leans down to speak into my ear. I ignore the blush fighting to pigment my face as I side eye him.

"Don't be an idiot, Bokuto-san. I'm not suggesting anything," I state but he can't help to notice the faint red that stings my cheeks, barely bright enough to be noticeable from long distances. He definitely notices, though, but he doesn't speak on it.

He hums and pulls away as I scoff a little bit. He grins widely before taking off with a simple, "see ya akaashi!" when he hears the warning bell ring. I walk to lunch and continue about my day.

Practice was normal as the rest of the day was average. I invite Bokuto-san over to my house to celebrate his birthday, and to give him his present. Our team had a little party to celebrate, and seeing him smile really made my week. I just want him to smile even more.

I'm reading a book on my living room couch before I hear a knock at my front door. My mother rushed to answer it, knowing who she'll see when she opens the heavier door.

"Koutaro!" She beams at the ace after she opens the door. I join her side silently, not long after, when I hear my mom's joyous voice.

And there is Bokuto Koutaro standing at 6'1" in my doorway, wearing the most casual outfit consisted of a gray hoodie and black sweatpants but somehow still looking unbelievably good in it. I eye him up in down slightly, hoping he doesn't catch my gaze but I know he does when I make eye contact with him after looking him over. He innocently smirks and I look away when my mom continues to talk to him.

"Happy birthday, son!" My mother chirps below him, inviting the taller man in. I step aside, giving him room to enter my house as he takes off his tennis shoes, smiling brightly at the two of us.

"Why thank you, Ms. Akaashi!" He bows slightly before my mom lets Bokuto and I go upstairs. I lead him to my familiar stairs, ones he's climbed countless times before until we get to my room.

"Akaashi, the momma's boy as always, eh~?" Koutaro teases when I shut the door to my bedroom. I roll my eyes and pay him no mind as he gets himself comfortable by stretching out across my bed.

At this point I refuse to acknowledge how the tension between us has grown these past couple of days. From teasing remarks, to Bokuto just getting way too comfortable with my personal space bubble, I think he's starting to realize I won't tell him off or do anything about his advances.

"This is for you..." I gather the bag that Bokuto's gift is in, extending it out to him while making sure I'm as far away as possible from him. The packaging of the bag sparkles against my led lights that illuminate my room as he tears through the paper inside.

His eyes widen when he pulls his gift out, and I fight back a smile seeing him so full of excitement over something that I did for him.

Yes, I knitted a cute owl stuffed toy (with the help of my mom) for his dumb birthday.

As his face contours into the living embodiment of the emoji that's constantly on the brink of tears he squeezes the plushie tight. (🥺)

"You made this...for me..?" He slowly asks, ready to pounce on me as he stands up to match my position.

"Well, my mom helped me knit it..." I sheepishly reply, rubbing the back of my neck in slight insecurity.

"It's perfect!" He cheers, tackling me in a tight hug as he squeezes the living daylights out of me. I lightly return the gesture as he just buries his face into the crook of my neck.

He suddenly pulls away and grabs onto my shoulders roughly as he's an arm's length away.

"Thank you!" He smiles brightly and I show a small smile.

"Y-yeah, no problem..." I slightly stutter, just caught off guard by his reaction in general. His smile turns into a cheeky smirk and I raise an eyebrow.

"I never noticed how cute you are Keiji! Stutter again, please?" He oddly and politely asks as my cheeks flush slightly. He holds onto my shoulders a little tighter.

"In your dreams, Bokuto-san," I muse as Bokuto leans closer to me.

"I bet I can make my dreams a reality!" He cheers before kissing me, a kiss full of bliss and pure, long-awaited joy.

"H-Happy birthday..." I mumble after we pull apart for breath. Bokuto blushes as he pulls me into another hug once again, and I bask in the comforting feeling of his arms around me.

"Thank you," He whispers.