"reenforcement" {iwaoi}

iwaizumi hajime x oikawa tooru

middle school au
«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

"Who does Tobio-chan think he is anyways?" I huff as Iwa and I walk home from another middle school practice. We take our usual route home as we pass by dozens of cars side by side on the cracked sidewalk.

"Crappykawa. He only wanted to learn how to serve..." Iwaizumi trails off next to me. I look over at him and he wears an unreadable expression as he faces forwards. When he catches me looking he whips his head towards me.

"What?!" He snaps and I chuckle before continuing.

"It's like he thinks he's better than me!" Now it's Iwaizumi's turn to glance at me as I catch his gaze in the corner of my eyes. He focuses his attention back on the sidewalk ahead of him after a while.

"Who wouldn't want to learn how to serve from you?" Iwa asks casually as we near my house. I cock my head to the side.

"What do you mean, Iwa-chan?"

"I mean what I said. Who wouldn't? Your serve is strong and powerful." Hajime deadpans and I grin widely.

The sky around us begins to darken when we near my small humble house. The door is bright red and matches the window fringes as well as the garage. Some people call my house an inverted barn.

"You're really talented Oikawa, who wouldn't want you to mentor them? Who wouldn't want to look up to you? You inspire all of us, even me." We stop walking and I turn to Hajime as he makes his cringe speech.

"You mean that?"

"Of course I do, idiot..." My slightly shorter friend reaches up to ruffle my hair as I laugh lightly. He tangles his hand in my brown locks before dropping his hand to the side.

I love seeing the soft side of Iwa-chan, and knowing only I can bring it out of him makes me even happier.

"Shouldn't you be going home soon, Hajime?" I honestly ask, looking up at the sky. He grunts before replying.

"Yeah. I'll miss the day I can't play volleyball along side you anymore, Tooru," Iwaizumi turns his back to be and begins to walk away, unable to see the blush rising onto my face.

"Wait, Iwa-chan!" I gasp, grabbing his wrist and pulling him back to face me.

"T-Thank you... for the compliments," I slowly say, getting lost in his eyes in the process. I don't remember Iwaizumi ever looking this pretty under the dim moonlight. My grip loosens after he shows a small, rare smile.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow." He calmly says before turning his back once more, walking further along the sidewalk as the night settles along the horizon.

460 words