"perfect" {tsukkiyama}

tsukishima kei x tadashi yamaguchi

this used to be a standalone oneshot on my acc so you might've read it before
«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

Karasuno had just finished another tough practice as Yamaguchi and Kei make their way home together. The sky becomes darkened the longer and further they both walk until what's above them seems to turn to charcoal. Tadashi adjusts his scarf as they continue to walk side by side in sync in the cold winter's evening.

They pass by familiar landmarks on their way to Kei's house, where they would both crash for the Friday night. Light snow begins to fall quicker the longer they walk, muscles sore and minds clouded. The pair are tense, shoulders tight and bound with the stress of school and volleyball expectations.

"Tadashi," Kei suddenly speaks out into the cold, stopping dead in his tracks along the side walk. Yamaguchi keeps walking until he realizes Tsukishima had stopped, and when he turns to glance at the boy, his golden locks were several feet behind him. The brunette locks eyes with Kei's golden ones, as tears begin to prick his eyes for seemingly no reason.

"Tsukki, what are you doing?" Tadashi timidly asks, shivering in the cold after pulling away his gaze as soon as he felt tears well up. It was true that practice was rough on everyone today, and it was physically as well as emotionally taxing on the two. Yamaguchi just prayed that his best friend hadn't seen the tears in his eyes, otherwise he would be worried.

"Never give up on volleyball," Tsukki suddenly blurts. A gust of cold wind hits their faces, causing the two to shiver slightly. Tadashi shifts in his coat in order to feel warm, as he readjusts the backpack on his back.

"Why would I do that?" The boy inquires, curious as to why Tsukishima is acting so strange. When he's met with silence, Yamaguchi begins to turn back around to start walking once more.

"Come on, let's g-" Kei grabs a hold of the smaller's wrist, feeling the pale skin under his fingertips shift under his grip. The two lock eyes when Yamaguchi is cut off, in fact, Tadashi looks deathly close to bursting into tears. The snow falls quicker as the two take a moment to relish in each other's presence.

"Has anyone told you..." Kei starts, trailing off when Tadashi cocks his head to the side, "...that you're perfect?" He calmly asks like that's something you say casually to your childhood best friend. Yamaguchi's eyes widen as he trembles slightly, hands shaking as he tries to process what Tsukishima is saying.

The Tsukishima Kei complimented him. Tsukishima never compliments anyone, he insults them rather, a sarcastic mastermind in Tadashi's opinion. But Kei looks so genuine, like the words out of his mouth were truly those he believed. Tsukishima was always the one that could see straight through Yamaguchi no matter the situation, he always knew just what to say or just what to do to put the other at ease. From counting the freckles on the latter's face while he panics to protecting him from unwanted attention this man was always there for Tadashi. So why was he on the verge of breaking down? Why was he on the verge of spilling his thoughts out to Tsukishima? Why did his heart feel so heavy? Kei makes Tadashi the happiest.

And so Tadashi's lip began to quiver and his eyes began to release the dam as his tears streamed down his porcelain face effortlessly, drowning the freckles from the edge of his cheekbone to the bottom of his shaped jawline. Kei widens his eyes slightly, knowing that Tadashi was on the verge of tears but not knowing that the pinch server would ever let him see it.

Tadashi engulfs Kei into a huge bear hug, squeezing the taller male closer to him than ever before as he creates a home in the crook in the taller's neck.

"I know they were hard on you during practice," Kei dares to murmur on into the shorter's unruly hair. The other produces a sob in response, burying his face deeper in the crook of his neck, wishing to be as close as possible to Kei's body.

"They only put so much pressure on you because you're greater than you think," Tsukishima continues, now bringing his hand up to tangle in Yamaguchi's hair, toying with it to get the boy crying in front of him to calm down.

Tadashi sniffles as he clutches Kei's winter coat tighter, producing more salty tears only to be soaked up by the layers covering Tsukishima's lanky body. The snow around the two continues to get heavier as the two enjoy their tight embrace, sharing body heat and memories.

"So nobody's ever called you perfect?" Tsukishima hums, holding Yamaguchi even tighter than before, as if to protect him as he's pressed flesh against the other's body.

"No, nobody has," Tadashi mumbles, affirming the blonde's suspicion as he continues to tear up even more.

"Let me be the first, Tadashi."

Oh man, Yamaguchi could almost melt at those words. In multiple different instances this sentence could mean a lot of different things, but this sentence meant the world for the brunette  boy. Tadashi felt like he was on cloud nine at this point, like all of his dreams had come true. Maybe it was a Christmas miracle in January, or maybe it was his mind playing cruel tricks on him in his dreams.

"Please look at me."

Yamaguchi looks up with his tear stained eyes at his snarky friend, seeing a rare smile etched onto his lips. It was small, and barely noticeable if you didn't know Tsukki, but it was so real it was like heaven on earth for Tadashi.

"Your freckles are cute, I like how they're countless." Tsukishima begins to trace his thumbs along the smaller's face, running along every freckle until Yamaguchi's face is left flushed from the cold and his actions.

"Your eyes are mesmerizing, and I like the nickname you give me. I'd never let anyone else but you get away with calling me that stupid name..." Kei continues, trailing off, while holding the other's face in his hands. Snow continues to land in the two's hair, coating their locks in pure white.

"Every part of you is perfect, even your flaws are beautiful," Tsukishima announces one more time, wiping away one of Tadashi's multiple tears from his face. But this time, the tear wasn't sad, it was out of pure happiness. Yamaguchi smiles brightly, almost blinding Tsukki through his tears, Kei finds this endearing.

"Even your lips, it isn't fair," The taller smiles dazed and content with how things are going. The cold around them doesn't seem to be bothersome and the two don't shiver when gusts of wind prove fatal anymore.

"Kiss me, Kei." Yamaguchi hasn't used the other's first name in ages. Tsukishima smirks as if he was waiting for the other to say those words for a century before capturing Tadashi's lips in his.