Chapter 4

I woke up to my alarm buzzing and being extremely annoying. I hated that alarm so much, it shook my whole bed, but it was all I had.

I slipped the covers off of my legs and climbed out of bed. I pulled the sheets back into place and straightened the comforter. I left the pillows alone, in their wrinkled mess near the top of the mattress, because they were hard to handle, being very thick and heavy pillows.

I trudged to the bathroom and looked at my figure in the mirror. I looked exhausted, with dark circles under my eyes, and a small, but cherry-red zit right between my eyebrows. I rolled my eyes and stripped, turning the knob on the shower to hot. The bathroom steamed up immediately and I stepped tentatively into the hot droplets, which turned out to be very warm, not hot, like I expected. My mom must be in the shower, which is fine, because she took long showers in the morning, while I usually took short ones.

I poured the shampoo onto my palm and rubbed it into my scalp. It lathered up, and started running down the beck of my neck. I didn't like the feeling and rinsed the shampoo out of my hair.

I stepped out of the shower, dripping wet, and reached for my towel. After drying my face, I looked at myself in the mirror, and I looked a lot better. I had no circles under my eyes, but that zit was still there. I hated wearing makeup, but It wouldn't hurt to dab a bit of cover-up onto my face. I pulled the cover-up out of a drawer, and dabbed a bit onto the zit. It disappeared like magic, and I set the cover-up back into the drawer and closed it softly.

I went back into my room. The sun was starting to rise, filling my room with light through the crack of my curtains. The sun rising above the purple clouds was beautiful, and I just stood there for a second. The world is so beautiful, especially the hero world, while the villain world was full of darkness and sin. Now, I'm no Christian, but I did know a thing or two about going to Hell after death. I didn't want to. I had tried to be good all my life, not murdering or stealing, but I had done terrible things as well, which I won't mention until later.

I pulled myself out of my trance and turned to my dresser. I pulled on a pair of long jeans, which bagged at my converse, but I liked the style, and how it made me look, because I liked wearing long clothing. One of my favorite attributes is how tall I am compared to other 14-year-olds. At least three inches taller.

I pulled on a button-up flannel shirt, and slid into my sweatshirt. Taking my backpack from the desk chair, I slid it over my shoulders. Taking my brush from my desk, I brushed out my hair, which was still damp and braided it.

Down in the kitchen, my mom was already making toast.

"Didn't expect you to wake up for school." She grinned.

"Why?" I slid onto a stool at the breakfast bar and set my bag down by my feet.

"Just you staying up late, going on missions and stuff." She slid a plate of eggs and toast across the bar and put it in front of me.

"I didn't do that last night. I actually went to bed early, if you can believe it." I stabbed an egg with a fork and put it in my mouth.

"I know. But it becomes a habit, and I want the best for you."

I grinned. "I know, mum."

She smiled again and went to pour herself some juice. "Were you at the bar last night?"

"What gives you that idea?" I ask. I listen closely for my dad, but I can hear him in the shower, stomping around and dropping shampoo bottles.

"Your dad thinks that you were. I wouldn't doubt it, he was drunk, and he was pissed. one of the other villains insulted him in your honor."

I grinned. "I was, but only because I had left a school folder there from when I had studied last week while dad was on his oh-so-important mission. Dabi tried to return it, but... I guess he couldn't find time. So I just went and got it."

My mom turned around, a glass of juice in her hand, and leaned over the breakfast bar. She took my hand and looked at me, straight in the eye.

"Jade, I want you to be safe. You're being safe, right?"

"What do you mean?" I was thoroughly confused.

"Like, no drugs, no drinking..."

My eyes widened. "Oh, mom, of course not! I'm turning 15 in a month. Why would I do that stuff?"

"I'm just curious. You mean everything to me, and..." She looked so upset. "I never wanted you to be a villain, you were sucked into it. I should never have married that man."

"Mom, its fine. I'm happy, you're happy. He's just a disrespectful snot. Who cares?" I take my plate to the sink and rinse it off.

She grins again. "That's not nice. But anyway, you aren't wrong. Now, brush your teeth and get going before your dad gets down here." I raced upstairs and scrubbed my teeth quickly, trying to get out of there before my dad made his way downstairs.

I ran down the stairs, grabbed my backpack, called out an "I love you" to my mom, and raced down the street to the bus that would take me to school.