Chapter 13

The next day was weird. It was nice not having anything to do until later that evening until my day was ruined by guess who! My dad waltzed into the bar like he owned the place

I was picking at a spot on the bar, trying to get it off, when the bar door jingled and my father stomped in, slamming the door behind him and making his way towards the bar and slamming his fists on the counters. I ducked down behind the bar and crawled behind the beer fridge, pulling my knees up to my chest.

I heard Toga greeting my father. "Mr. Jadeora! How are you?"

"Fine, listen, you haven't seen my daughter, right?" My father grunted.

Toga lied easily. "No, I haven't. Is she missing?"

"Damn right. She's ran away, her mother said. But I have news, bad news for her. She's not gonna like it. Ay, Bartender. Get me a Lime Chuhai." He shifted in his seat.

Toga's voice sounded sarcastic. "What's the problem now?" 

"Ay, bartender! Lime chuhai!" He turned to Toga and propped his arm on the bar. "It's about her mother."

My mother?! I stood up and pulled a Lime Chuhai out of the fridge, popped the top and slipped it in his hand, hiding my face and going back behind the bar. He didn't even notice me.

"She was killed a couple days ago by a hero, All Might. He... he smashed her into smithereens." His voice broke, but I barely noticed. My mother.. dead. Dead. My mother with her soft hair, understanding eyes... dead. Gone. 

And by All Might? How? He killed her... How would I ever be able to look him in the eye at school? No, I wouldn't. I can't. These thoughts swarmed my head, and I felt dizzy. Toga's voice was high pitched. 

"Dead? What do you mean dead? How can she be dead? Oh, god. How is she dead? Smashed? By All Might?! That bastard! Oh, poor Jade!" Toga slammed her beer down, showering the bar with droplets of cherry.

"I know. She needs to know. Wherever she is, maybe she'll come back home. She'll want to see her mom's funeral, it's tomorrow, and she won't answer her cell. She needs to know, she'd never forgive me if I didn't tell her..." He choked up.

That bastard! Oh, his tears were fake! He never cared about me or my mother. I looked around and caught eyes with Himiko, and raised my eyebrows. She seemed to understand, and turned back to my father. 

"When and where is the funeral? If I can't get ahold of Jade, I would like to come pay my respects. "

"At the Verges Memorial, down the street. 9:15, near the back." He downed the rest of his Chuhai and left it, dropping some Yen onto the counter. He stomped out of the bar and pushed the door open, letting it slam behind him and sauntering out of sight.

I sit in my spot behind the fridge, numb with shock. I have to go to that funeral. I HAVE TO. If I don't I will forever regret it. I have to go to the funeral for my mother. SO I will, and nothing can stop me.

I stood up and walked with jelly legs back to the bar, taking the yen and dropping it into the register. I wiped the cherry droplets up off of the bar and ran the rag under the tap, wringing it out and laying it over the spout to dry.

"Jade, don't act like you don't care. I know you're hurting inside." Toga stated, crossing her arms and glaring at me. 

"I'm not acting tough. In fact, I feel weak and broken inside and like I should definitely go after the 'hero' who did it." I glared at her. My sarcasm was full of venom and hatred.  I was angry, upset, ready to shoot someone. 

Toga stood up and leaned across the bar, taking my hand in hers. "Do you need something to do to take your mind off of it?"

I shrugged. Yes, I did. And I needed a distraction fast. Like, as in NOW.

"Then I'll take you shopping. You need a dress for the funeral and you are NOT wearing that."  She gestured my maids outfit. Ok, ok, I'll admit it. I was actually considering it. I had no other dresses. But I mean, if she was buying, I suppose I would gladly go.

What was the point in not?

________________________________________________________________________

Hey y'all! Sorry this chapter was so short. I've been working on this since MARCH and I really just needed to get it done. Ugh, I hate writers block. 

I'm super excited because of 331 reads! You guys are insane! I remember when I had 13 reads. Wow, I must have gotten older and more interesting, XD.

Till next time! <3