Chapter 16

I woke up to smell a spicy scent mixed with that of woodsmoke. I opened my eyes to see a white shirt. My face was pressed against Dabi's chest. I sucked in a breath. Before I could panic or so much as move, Dabi groaned.

"Shut up." His hands were folded underneath his head as a makeshift pillow, so I was the only one with my arms wrapped around him. Yes, my arms were wrapped around his waist. Tightly.

I extracted my arms and shoved myself away from him. My back hit the wall but at that point, I barely felt it. I sat up quickly, rocking the whole bed. So many emotions were swirling around my head and I needed to get them straight.

Dabi cocked his head up at me, giving me an evil look. "What the hell?"

"What are you doing?! I- we're just- you- what are you-" My words got stuck in my throat and I clutched my head, tangling my hands in my hair. Dabi and I were friends. Nothing more. And yet there we were, laying in a spare room in the back of the bar, cuddling.

He stretched out and pivoted onto his back, his hands behind his head. "I fell asleep, I didn't mean to, it happens."

He was acting like it wasn't a big deal. It was a big deal. It was a big deal. I pushed the sheets and blankets off of my legs and got out of the bed. Pacing the small length of the room, I tried to stop my hands from shaking. Anger? No, it was more like fear. I could not catch feelings for Dabi. My lifestyle couldn't bring this small accident to light at this point. Not when so much was going on. Not with UA, my mom's upcoming funeral, me being on the run hiding from my dad. No. And besides that, my relationship with Dabi had always been platonic. Entirely, completely, utterly platonic. I wasn't even sure we were friends, as his actions on the day of the entrance exam showed his contempt for my goals. He shot flames at me to hurt me. Although I can't justify my actions. After all, I had driven my knee into his face and gave him a bloody nose.

And what about UA? I wasn't even sure I had gotten in. So far, I hadn't gotten any acceptance letters. But to be fair, I wasn't sure exactly where the letter would end up. If it showed up at my house, my dad would find it and be livid. If it showed up here, at the bar, everybody would know exactly what I was doing. My mother was dead. That fact hung over me. Nothing would change that. I had nobody to protect me. A cloud of stress built up over me and I crumpled beneath it. Why, oh why, hadn't I thought it through more? Of course, there would be a letter. It would probably come bearing the UA crest as well- oh, god.

I bit my nails, still pacing the room. All this time, Dabi was watching me. As if he could read my thoughts, he glared at me.

"I told you. This is about that school. It's causing way too much stress. It's not too late to call it off. You could call the faculty."

I laughed harshly. "If only it were that easy. I don't want to back out, Dabi. I can't. I have to be a hero- to avenge my mother," I said quickly, catching the angry look flitting across his face.

"Jade, it was the hero who killed your mother, dammit!" He swiveled himself around and sat up on the bed, looking down at his clenched fists resting on his knees. I stopped walking suddenly. He did have a point. And this was something I had severely overlooked. And this small crucial detail changed my entire outlook on everything. Within one second, my stress had turned to blinding anger. Part of me wanted to deny what Dabi had just said, but I knew that he wasn't lying. How had I overlooked this? All Might, the man who saved people with a smile on his face, had killed my mother. Unless... my dad was lying.

I turned towards Dabi. "I want to know how she died." My fists were clenched. I really didn't want to know how she died, but I did at the same time. I needed to know.

He sighed. He stood up and started walking towards the door. I stepped between him and the doorway, blocking his path, and crossed my arms. His eyebrows shot up and we stared each other down for at least 30 seconds.

"What?" He finally sighed, going limp. He looked to the left, towards the wall.

"I need to know, Dabi. Come on, you've got to understand this," I said, crossing my arms over my chest. 

He shook his head and looked down at the floor. He seemed defeated. 

"I want to know. Everything." He finally looked me in the eyes and sighed. I could tell I was about to have my way and I dropped my arms from my defensive stance. 

"All right."

---------------------------------------

Hey!

SO big things happening in the next chapter. 877 words. Wooooo!

-Cai