Chapter 10

I stood up, shaky and humiliated. How dare him show up here! Especially now. So much for supportive. It was as if he was trying to get me busted. I texted him.

Me- Are you trying to get me arrested?!

No answer. I didn't entirely expect one, though. He was probably just ignoring me to annoy me. That's Dabi, though. I wasn't too sure if I wanted to go after him; he had already disappeared behind a building.

I looked around. The other kids were still buzzing about the test. Even in the heat of the day, I was shivering. It couldn't keep going on like this. I wasn't keen on spending the rest of my life looking over my shoulder to see if someone was pointing a gun at my back.

I decided to do something stupid. I wasn't technically a hero yet, since I would have to wait a little while to see if I was accepted into this stupid school. If I wasn't a hero yet, then the other villains would have no issue with me showing up at the bar.

So later that night, in the streets of Yokohama, I was trotting up the sidewalk to the bar. It was stupid, I know, but I couldn't stay away. I was hoping Kuro could offer me some comfort.

One problem though: if Himiko was there, she would be ultra confused as to why I wasn't on a plane out of Japan. I'll tell her some messed up story, hopefully it'll be convincing enough.

Sure enough, as soon as I walked into the bar, I could hear her purring laughter. She was talking to a boy, about my age, with long-ish beach-boy styled hair. I had never seen this guy before, so of course I was on my guard. He sure didn't look anything like a villain. In fact, he looked a bit familiar. He had dark hair and almost reef-blue eyes. He picked up a shot glass from the bar, drained it, and finally looked at me, and I suddenly realized why he looked familiar.

This jack was at the entrance exam!

My main hope, MAIN HOPE, was that he wouldn't say a word about me. However, I could tell that he knew me by looks, too. His voice faltered and he just stared at me.

"Jade?" Himiko looked at me, confused. "What are you doing here? I thought you were going on a trip."

"I was." I closed the door behind me and pulled my hood down, letting my hair spill out of it. "One of the girls pissed me off, so I had to slit her throat. Thanks for the knife, by the way." I pulled it out of my pocket and laid it on the counter.

"Good for you!" Her face turned a bright, shady blush. "Did you get a picture?"

"No, I only just got away. I would have, for your sake, if I could have, Himiko."

I slid myself up on the barstool and looked around Himiko at the boy. He did the same thing, and opened his mouth to say something. I gave him a look that plainly said, 'If you keep my secret, I'll keep yours.' He shut his mouth, gave me a clipped look.

I pulled Himiko's Whiskey Highball towards me and took a long sip. I wasn't a stranger to alcohol, but I never drank it. So obviously Himiko looked at me weird.

"You ok, Jade? Something on your mind?" She actually looked concerned, so i just told her the truth. Well, some of it.

"I don't want Dabi to show up," I said quietly. I held the can to my lips again, but didn't drink.

"Oh, um, he's already here. He's just in the other room helping Kuro." Her voice was small and apologetic.

"Oh. I guess I'm gonna go, then. I have to get home anyways." It was partly true. I did have to get home, but not for a while. it was starting to get dark outside, but my parents didn't really care if I stayed out late. I guess turning 15 was my ticket to more freedom. However, I didn't think it wise to go home. What if my dad was there?

I slid off the barstool, put the knife back into my belt, and put a few bills on the counter in front of Himiko.

"Use this to buy yourself another FireBall, since I chugged yours." I walked out of the bar, almost knocking it off of its hinges, and strode down the street.

I was angry for some reason. It wasn't the Fireball, it was too soon for it to begin its drowsy effect. I suppose it was because of the fact that I didn't want to see Dabi, but I had knowingly walked into the bar that he's almost always at.

I was shaking, and in seething anger I saw something that made me grin manically. One of the kids from my middle school, a cute boy named Wyatt was walking straight towards me, with a strut that made him seem like a very proud rooster.

I pulled a black bandana off of my belt and wrapped it around my face, covering my mouth, but leaving my eyes clear. I pulled my knife out of my belt, and hiding it behind my back, I walked slowly and casually towards him. Right as we crossed paths, I grabbed him by his shirt collar and dragged him into the alleyway. Although he was taller and stronger than me, I had the element of surprise on my side.

I pinned him against the wall. He was wearing a chain necklace. I grinned. Using my quirk, I caused the chain to shrink, choking him. As he struggled to breathe, I leaned in real close to him and whispered into his ear.

"Had enough yet?" I flicked my finger, releasing the chain, and stepped back. He fell to the brick ground, gasping. I kneeled down next to him, and grabbed his hair. I pulled his head up, and looked him straight in the eye. His eyes were watering and he was shaking.  I couldn't stop my craving for spilled blood though, so I jerked his head downwards and stood up. 

"You're weak. You filthy rat, you're weak. What are you good for besides a slimy sidekick?" I pulled the knife out of my belt and put the blade between my teeth and kneeled down again. I took his face in my hands gently, caressing his ear and holding his cheeks in the palms of my hands. 

"But in my eyes, you are someone beautiful. Someone who could help my cause." I looked at him straight in the eyes again, those green, galaxy eyes which looked back at me fearfully. 

"Calm down. I'm not going to hurt you. In fact, I'll help you up." I pulled him off of his feet, and took the knife out of my mouth.

"I'm sorry. I didn't really mean that. I was angry at something and needed to take my anger out. I didn't mean for it to go to you."

"How can that be a thing you can simply apologize about?!" His voice was loud and gruff.

I lowered my eyes.

-----------------------

Hey, this part was fun for me to write, if I'm completely honest with you. I'm not entirely VIOLENT, per se, but I (forgive me god) like to write about suffering.

-Cai

ps. Hope you're enjoying so far! any suggestions? What should I name the beach boy?