Chapter 8: The jersey

I keep my distance from Jimmy throughout the flight and when we land we're greeted by some of the teams reporters. I stick with Denise and guide her down the steps. I make sure she gets into the SUV first then his brothers until it's just us.
"I'm nervous." Jimmy says with a light laugh.
"We need to talk." I say.
"About?" He asks but I just get into the car.
"Are they going to be taking pictures the whole time?" I ask.
"I hope so!" Denise exclaims. "We all look great." Everyone laughs at her enthusiasm but deep inside I am terrified. The drive is filled with excitement about looking for a new place for Jim and my head is spinning the whole time and nobody notices.
We arrive to the facility and the team just finished practice. There is press just about everywhere here and I am so glad I brought big sunglasses to hide behind. We go into a conference room where Jimmy's agent waited for us. They talk business for what seems like a lifetime and then he goes in front of the press to sign his contract. The look on his face and his family is priceless they're so happy.
He answers questions and I can only smile as he tries to answer as smartly and simple as he could.
The media disburses and Tom Brady walks in.
"Hey." He says to Jimmy before shaking hands with all of us. "We've been waiting for you man." He says and Jimmy smiles.
"Took me a minute but I'm ready." Jim reassures. More teammates come in and I'm so overwhelmed by everyone who is introducing themselves to me.
"Hi I'm Danny." Says a man holding his hand out to me. I see the number 80 on his sweats and assume he's on the team.
"Hi I'm Ana, nice to meet you."
"You a friend of Jimmys?" He asks.
"I am." I nod with a smile.
"His girlfriend?" He asks and I nod.
"You ready to move to Boston?" He asks trying to make conversation with me.
"No," I laugh "absolutely not." He looks at me and looks confused. "I'm an editor in the Rolling Stone magazine there's nowhere else I'd rather be."
"Oh okay that makes sense. I'm glad you're sticking to it, but don't get upset when you see headlines." He smiles before moving to talk to Billy and Mike.
Did I just sound like an asshole or was it all him? I mean I would rather be with Jimmy in New York, and I don't want him to think I don't care about him because I do— a lot actually, but I can't cave. I love my job, it's what I always dreamed of but I also have this incredible man in my life now. Also what headlines is talking about? Is he saying he'll cheat on me?
My head feels like it is going to explode. I take a step outside and wonder through the stadium until I find myself on the field. I walk to midfield and slowly spin seeing how huge everything was. Just as the last ray of sunlight disappeared the stadium lights turned on the lights blind me and I see Jimmy walking towards me.
"Whatcha got there?" I ask noticing he kept his right hand behind his back. He better not propose this is all moving too fast for me.
"I wanted to give you my first jersey." He says opening up the first #10 Garoppolo jersey for me. He turns it around and I see his name engraved in it.
"This is real." I say as it all finally hits me. I grip the jersey in my hands and pull it over my head.
"Told you you'd look great in it." He says before pulling me into a hug. "What did you want to talk about?" He asks.
"Your mom told me that you told her this trip was for me to reconsider the move." I say crossing my arms across my chest.
"It kind of is." He says "Well I hoped it would be." He clarifies.
"But I already told you I'm not moving here."
"I know, I guess I just figured that maybe some part of you would want to reconsider after being here with me. It could be fun for us both."
"Jimmy a whole lot of me wants to make the move. I mean my heart is yanking me to follow you here, but my head knows I have to stay in New York."
"Really?" He asks holding my hands in his.
"Baby of course. I know how hard this is going to be with all the traveling and different schedules it scares the fuck out of me because I really want this to workout. I've craved stability my whole life and just when I thought I was getting it all of this happened." I finally tell him.
"It's not what you signed up for I know, you probably want a man with a steady 9am-5pm weekend off guy. I'm sorry I flipped the switch."
"Jimmy I want you. Yes, long distance will suck but only for a little while." I say reaching up to cup his face gently. "Since we're being honest, I'm afraid you'll fall for someone else in the office someone like Jack."
"Baby." I sigh with a frown.
"He can offer you stability I know he can and some part of me is afraid that I'll lose you."
"You've got nothing to worry about." I reassure as I lean in to give him a quick kiss. "And if we're talking insecurities, that guy Danny told me about headlines that might come out if I don't move with you and I trust you Jimmy I do but then that thing with Jen and who knows how women are here and it just all got in my head." I ramble until I notice him smiling down at me.
"Baby." He finally says.
"What?" I ask with a slight pout
"Look at me." He asks and I tilt my head up. "I will never want someone more than I want you." He says as he puts both hands on the sides of my head. I can't help but smile. He leans down to give me a kiss. He pulls me closer tapping on my thigh so I jump up and he catches me.
"You're in the NFL." I say as I rest my forehead on his.
"I am." He smiles.
God please let this all work out.