Chapter 22: Family

"I'll see you later honey." Jimmy says kissing my forehead.
"Where you heading?" I ask.
"Golfing with Bosa and Trent." He lies
"Okay, have fun." I smile.
"I love you." He says shutting the door behind him. I take the blanket off my body revealing my perfect black spy outfit. I wait 15 minutes before leaving to the same restaurant he was going to. God I really shouldn't be doing this.
It's 3:30 and I arrive at the place, it seems kind of fancy, I definitely cannot go in dressed like this. Fuck it. I grab my purse and head inside.
"Name?" The hostess asks.
"I didn't make a reservation, just kind of need a table."
"For one?" He asks.
"Yes."
"Is the bar okay?"
"It's perfect." I smile following him to my seat.
Just my luck I spot Jimmy, I make sure to keep my head down. There's two plate in front of him but no one in the seat, maybe they went to the bathroom. I order a drink and keep an eye out. I see a beautiful blonde come out and take a seat in front of Jimmy my heart sinks when I see it all happen. They're talking about something I cannot hear over the chattiness around me. When I see them laugh I can't take it anymore. I chug my drink and stomp over to their table.
"What the fuck are you doing James?" I ask crossing my arms over my chest.
"Ana." He gasps. "What are you doing here?" He asks standing up.
"How could you?" I ask with tears in my eyes. "I forgave you once Jimmy, but I can't keep doing this with you. I'm done."
"No, no no baby this is not that." He says coming closer to hold my hands in his.
"What else could it possibly be? You just keep on hurting me." I say pushing past him. I rush to my car but he's right behind me.
"She's a private investigator!" He screams at me. "It was supposed to be a surprise." He sighs when I turn around.
"What was?" I ask not understanding anything.
"I hired her to try and find any family you could possibly have."
"I told you I don't have any." I say.
"You're wrong." She says stepping towards me. "I'm Detective Juliet Santiago, I was actually able to track down one of your grandparents."
"Why?" I ask looking over at Jimmy.
"I wanted you to have your family with you on our wedding day."
"They're as good as strangers to me Jimmy why wouldn't want them there?"
"Because they're blood. I think you should meet her and get stories of your parents." He smiles as he grabs my hand. The thought of getting to hear about my parents brings me so much joy.
"You really got a private investigator." I say with a laugh.
"You think I'd cheat on you?" He asks sounding very hurt.
"I don't know Jimmy I saw you two together and went crazy." I confess. "But I love you and I really trust you won't do anything like that anymore." I genuinely say giving him a hug.
We head home and I see the save the dates have been delivered. They're beautiful!!! He helps me put them in envelopes and stick on the addresses. 160 later I'm beat and I know he is too.
The next morning I get up to make him some breakfast.
"I was meaning to ask how the lunch with your sister went?" He asks sipping his coffee.
"Her name is Holly." I remind. "But it was good. She's coming over tonight for dinner."
"Are we excited?" He asks taking in my indifferent expression.
"Holly is a bit of a mess, she used to always get me in trouble with Mrs. Taylor, she's used to me bailing her out on shit and she lies a lot."
"That's family." He smiles trying to make light of the situation.
"I guess." I shrug unsure of everything. "But I told her to be here at 4."
"Sounds like fun, what are we making?"
"I was thinking chicken fajitas and some churro chips for dessert."
"Sounds good." He smiles. "I'm going to head over to the gym with Dwelley, but I will be back in time to help." He promises kissing me goodbye.
I turn up my music loud and clean the kitchen, bathrooms and living room area. Three hours later my house is spotless and Wilson is showered and dry.
Then I have a shower myself. While my hair dries I start cooking. With my music on loud I don't hear Jimmy so when he grabs my hips it scares me. I laugh and turn to face him. I move my hips to the rhythm of the music and he joins me for a dance before turning the music down.
"You go get ready I'll finish up here."
"I love you." I say reaching up to kiss him.
I go get dressed choosing ripped jeans and a comfy knitted sweater. I do my hair and makeup next.
I hear the doorbell ring and take in a deep breath before heading downstairs. I see she is dressed in a small sparkly dress and high heels, she did not.
"You're so handsome way more so than the TV makes you look!" She says to Jimmy who lets her in. He looks at me and I give him an embarrassed smile.
"It's nice to meet you." He replies extending his hand out to her, but she pulls him in for a hug.
"I can't believe you guys dated for five years and I am just now meeting him." She laughs.
"We've been busy." I say with a shy laugh.
"No I mean I can see why you'd want to keep him a secret, look at those eyes." She flirts batting her eyelashes at him.
"Let's go into the kitchen." I smile wanting this dinner to be over already.
"Saw the tough loss." Holly says. "You'll get them next time." She smiles.
"Thanks." Jimmy says helping me plate the food. "Would you like a drink?" He asks noticing I hadn't asked.
"Sure I'd love some wine." Jimmy pours her a glass and she takes the glass from his hand.
"You have really big hands." She says suddenly grabbing his hand.
"Uh, yeah." Jimmy drags trying to pull his hand back gently.
"Holly." I say when I see she was not letting go. "That's enough." I finally say.
"I'm just making conversation." She defensively says. I roll my eyes and lead them to the dining room.
"So what do you do?" Jimmy asks.
"I'm a social worker." She responds before drinking wine.
"Oh that's a really nice job, did you do it because of the life you lived?" He asks and she starts to laugh, I notice Jimmy turn a slight shade of red and I apologize with my look.
"Hell no." She finally says. "I wanted to be a nurse but then I had to take all these bio and chem classes that were really like ewww gross so I switched to something easier." She finishes making Jimmy completely speechless.
"Oh, do you like your job?" He awkwardly asks.
"I guess, kids just aren't for me." She says finally making me laugh.
"When are two going to have kids?" She asks.
"Hopefully soon." Jimmy says with a wink to me making me blush.
"James." I say taking a sip of water.
"You guys would make cute babies, I could tell." She smiles. "How did you guys meet?"
"In New York at The Rolling Stone, I was the sports editor and she was the entertainment editor. I knew with the one perfect smile she gave me that she was the real deal." He says smiling at me.
"That's so cute." She says before she begins to cry—hard. "I'm sorry." She says covering her face.
Jimmy looks concerned, but I know better. He motions me to go comfort her so I do.
"What's going on?" I ask.
"Lincoln broke up with me and he's so mean and I'm never going to have what you have." She says not crying on my shoulder.
"Sure you will." I assure. "You're so nice and pretty and loyal, you'll find someone." I say like I have a million times before.
"And he totally screwed me over." She says.
"How?"
"He left me with an apartment I can't afford." And there it is.
"I'll give you enough for two months." I say bailing her out like always. "Now please don't cry, you'll be fine."
"You're the best." She says with a huge smile.
We finished dinner and she says she has to leave the minute I hand her a check.
"That was really weird." Jimmy says through his smile as we wave goodbye to her.
"Yeah, she's a little messed up, but that's family." I sigh leaning my head on his chest.
"Wanna go to game night with the team?" He asks making me look up at him.
"When?"
"Two hours."
"Is Claire coming?"
"Yes ma'am."
"Shit, I'm down." I laugh.
We get dressed and are picked up by George.
"I'm ready for this." I sigh after telling them about Holly.
"Don't get too messy." George says. "Not like last time."
"Excuse me?" I ask. "Claire was the one who kept feeding me drinks."
"And you didn't say no, did you?" He teases.
"Ayy fuck off." I say with a Canadian accent making everyone in the car laugh.
We pull into Kwon's house and I admire it like every time, he's got good taste.
We enter the house and it's already rowdy with other players.
I go around and say hi to everyone, I even go watching for my drinking buddy, I go around and finally find Emmanuel.
"Bring that fine ass over here." I call from across the room. He turns to look at me and laughs as he dances his way over to me. We hug while Claire pours us some shots.
We have a few while everyone else who was invited arrived at the house.
They set up for cards against humanities, this game brings out the worst in me.
An hour into the game I have a stack of 13 and Jimmy only had one.
"Baby you're not funny." I say making everyone laugh. He makes a face and I ppout.
"So how's this wedding planning going?" Emmanuel asks. "Y'all signing a prenup or what?"
Jimmy and I turn to look at each other before laughing out loud.
"I'm gonna guess you got it figured out?" He asks.
"Yes sir." I answer. "And as for the planning of everything its all going great. We got the venue, flowers, and color scheme."
"Girl that's nothing!" Claire says. "What about the wedding dress? Do you know which one you want?"
"No.." I drag. "I haven't really thought about it."
"We'll start shopping next week!" Claire exclaims clapping her hands. I smile nervously and take another shot.
We stop playing and everyone dispersed. I sit with Sanders as he talks to me about his baby momma drama. I look over at Jimmy who is with Sherm and Kittle. I love how he talks with his hands, so Italian. He turns to look at me and smiles so brightly it gives me butterflies.
"You gonna get that?" Sanders asks. I look down at my phone and see it's an unknown number.
"Nah." I laugh off shutting the call off.
"BOSA!" I yell getting his attention. He looks over at me and smiles lazily.
"What's up?" He quietly asks as he nears me.
"Nothing I just like yelling your name." I giggle.
I decide I need some air and head out to the backyard. I stand by the pool watching it change colors when I feel my phone ring again and it's the same number, must be someone from the office.
"Hello." I answer.
"I found you." A deep voice says making my heart beat like a million times faster. The phone call goes out and I stare at my phone. What the fuck.