Chapter 17: Mercy

"Look at you." I say as I watch him take his first steps again. He looks concentrated as he holds onto the railing. He nods as he keeps taking steps until he's to the end.
"I think I just have to get over the initial fear." He says as he walks back to me.
I open my arms to him until he's close enough to where I can wrap my arms around his waist. He kisses the top of my head and the team doctor comes in.
"I can tell you've been doing the exercises." He says. "8 days post op and you're putting full weight on it."
"Everyday three times a day." Jimmy smiles.
"Very good, now we'll work on getting all the swelling out to move into the more intense part of this."
"Sounds good."

I drive Jimmy home and then go to work. I walk into my office and see Derek waiting for me.
"You're late." He says making me furrow my eyebrows.
"To what exactly?"
"We had a meeting to go over the editorial pages."
"Sorry I had to take Jimmy to the doctor, but he's clear to drive now so it won't be an issue."
"How is he?" He asks as I pull up the files.
"Good. He's getting ahead of the schedule for sure."
"That's good to hear, we're not doing so hot without him."
"I know, he's really upset about it."
"Will he be ready for next season?" He asks. "What's the outlook for him? Do you know if--"
"Derek." I say getting his attention.
"Yeah?"
"You're being a journalist." I say making him laugh. "I really can't comment on anything."
"Oh come on." He says with a smirk. "We're only getting updates from the coach." He pouts
"What did Kyle say?" I ask.
"That the surgery was amazing."
"So what would that lead you to believe?"
"I'll see him at training camp."
"OTAs." I correct with a smug smile.
"No!" He says in a bit of shock. "You must be giving him good physical therapy." He says and I choke on my breath.
"No comment." I shyly reply not wanting the conversation to continue. That's extremely inappropriate.
"I mean I assume the energizer bunny attracts another." He says in a low voice.
"This isn't appropriate Derek, you should go."
"Ana wait I'm sorry."
"I think you should go." I say knowing my tears are threatening to spill.
"I'm sorry." He says before walking out of the office. Once the door closes I bring my tips of my fingers to my forehead and let the tears spill.
Is this how people see me now? All because of his mistake? Or is it just him?
And for the first time since the scandal broke out I grab my phone and do a google search for myself. I somehow find myself on twitter seeing my mentions and it's not good. So many people think I'm doing something horrible to myself by staying with him. And then there's that bitch saying she thinks it's great that we're working it out because he's a wonderful person. I feel sick reading her quotes and I toss my phone on my desk.
I hear a knock at my door and before I can say I'm busy it opens and I see Maya approaching with a bunch of magazines in her hands.
"I was thinki— what's wrong?" She asks seeing my puffy eyes.
"It's nothing." I say trying to laugh.
"What did he do?" She asks already angry, any time he's brought up it makes her mad.
"Nothing Maya I just did the worst thing possible and read what was being said about me online."
"You read her quotes?"
"How'd you know?"
"I've read them, she's the worst. Want me to fight her?" She asks coming around to give me a hug.
"You're too good for her." I sigh leaning my head on hers.
"And you're too good for him." She says in a low voice.
"I'm not." I defend him. "Everyone makes mistakes."
"Don't pull Hannah Montana quotes on me." She says making me laugh. "You know how I feel about the situation. I just don't think I can forgive him."
"It's not your place to forgive him Maya, I already did."
"Then why are you crying?"
"Because." I say and genuinely don't know what to answer.
"That speaks volumes." She says.
"He needs me and I need him. We love each other." I say.
"I'm going to be super candid with you for the next couple minutes. You do not need him he needs you way more than you will ever need him. The fact that he publicly humiliated you pisses me the fuck off because you're a good person and would never ever think about doing something like that to him. Be honest not to me but with yourself, would he have forgiven you if you slept with a pornstar? Or had sex with someone else?" She asks and I stare at the ground. "Exactly."
I grab my purse and leave the office.
I get into the car and drive straight home. I go inside and find Jimmy alone playing video games while doing some knee exercises.
"Would you have forgiven me if I had cheated on you?" I ask.
He looks surprised and his response leaves me speechless.