Chapter 18: Stuck with me

"You would?" I repeat. "Are serious?"
"Yeah." He nods before shutting his Xbox off and patting the couch space next to him. I take a seat and he takes a deep breath. "Contrary to what my family believes I did have a girlfriend in college." He starts. "She was beautiful and smart. We were together for two years and I had actually bought a ring." He says with a chuckle almost like he can't believe he did that. "Then one day I found out she had slept with my left guard—my best friend." He says before pausing. I look at him and figure he's going back to that place. "And it hurt like hell, I never knew heartache can actually cause you physical pain, but it did."
"It does." I quietly agree.
"So then she tried to explain, but I completely shut her out of my life and did not want anything to do with her." I stare at him as he spaces out for a bit. "Then one day I find out she was in an accident and died and in that and the following moments I could only ever think about what she could've said, what she wanted to say. I'll never know and it kind of haunts me, so since then I believe in second chances." He finishes. Definitely not what I expected.
"Ok." I slowly say taking in all this new information. In some sick way this makes me feel better. It makes me feel like I'm not the idiot everyone sees me as.
"Did something happen at work?" He asks laying his head on my lap.
"Why?" I ask running my fingers through his hair.
"You're home at 2pm and rushed in." He points out. I sigh before telling him everything that happened.
"He could get fired for that." He says getting angry. "I mean why the fuck would he think that's okay?" He asks sitting up.
"I don't know baby." I sigh. "I mean he apologized."
"I don't care. He had no right to say that to you. My mistakes should not be projected onto you. I'm sorry I did this." He says shaking his head. "And I feel like all your friends hate me." I want to put him at ease and say it's not true but I know it is.
"I don't care what they think Jimmy." I say putting my hand on his thigh. "I'm the one dating you, not them. It was my decision to make and I chose you." I reassure leaning in to hug him.
—-
The regular season is over and I know Jimmy is upset. The team went 4-12 I'm no expert in football but I know that's bad.
"It's okay baby." I say as we drive home.
"I could've helped, it would've been different had this not happened."
"Blessing in disguise." I remind him.
"It's hard to think of it that way." He shakes his head.
"I heard you guys get the number 2 overall draft pick." I say trying to cheer him up.
"Yes because of how shitty our season was."
"Ok." I quietly say knowing nothing I said was going to make him feel better. "The team could change for the better with that pick."
"Maybe." He sighs.

—week one of 49ers Organized team activities—
Jimmy has been a bit of a nightmare to be around this off-season well when he was home anyway. He spent his days working out and getting back into shape while spending his nights reading the playbook. I can't even complain too much because I've been swamped with work. Ever since my little showdown with Fox News I've been asked to do a lot of appearances and go to more charity events even some summits.
"First day back." Jimmy excitedly says kissing my cheek.
"Have fun don't do anything risky." I say kissing his cheek as well. He hums in response. "Jim I'm serious and wear the brace." I add.
"I know, I'll be careful." He says before leaving the room. "And maybe." He shouts through the door making me roll my eyes.

I decide to not go into the office today and work from home. Truth be told I'm just worried about him. I know it's all no contact for today but the workouts are what is stressing me out the most. All the what if's come to mind and I feel myself going crazy. I get dressed grab my keys and before I know it I'm driving to Santa Clara. God Ana why are you like this?
I pull into the stadium and go to the practice field. I run into Keiana and she helps me find the locker room. I head inside and bump into George.
"Oh hey there." He loudly says making me laugh. "What's up?" He asks adjusting his gloves.
"I'm just-"
"Worried about Jimbo?" He finishes making me breathlessly laugh before nodding. "Between you and me we all are, don't worry we'll keep an eye on him. Especially Kyle trust me he's a 137 million dollar player with an injury, they'll take care of him."
"I still worry." I laugh.
"Well stop. Now come, I'll introduce you to the new players." He says putting his arm around me and walking me to the guys.
"This is Dee Ford- he's hilarious and a BEAST!" He says making both of us laugh.
"This is Ana editor in chief of the VERY prestigious Rolling Stone magazine." He says as we shake hands.
"That is very impressive." Dee says with a smile.
"It's nice to meet you, welcome to the family." I smile.
"Thank you. Happy to be here." He replies.
"BO-SA!" I hear George yell. "Get the hell over here boy." Oh god, not this one. I heard about him. We wrote an article about him.
"Ana this is Nick Bosa, Bosa this is-"
"Ana, editor in chief of the rolling stone." Bosa interrupts. "The one who wrote the story about how some fans didn't want me on the team." He says trying to intimidate me.
"The one and only." I say not backing down.
"I'm not the same guy who tweeted that stuff." He says taking me by surprise. "I've grown, I've learned. I realize I'm a part of something much bigger than me and my opinions need to promote progressiveness." He says extending his hand for me to shake.
"I'm glad to hear that." I genuinely say.
"I was expecting more heat." George pouts making me laugh. "Oh well, on with the tour."
We finally make it outside and I see Jimmy practicing. He has his brace on making me sigh contently.
He turns to look in my direction and I hide behind George.
"You don't want to say hi?" He asks.
"No. What if he gets upset I came?"
"That's what she said." He laughs.
"Jimbo come kiss your girlfriend." George yells making me want to hide.
Jimmy jogs towards me I watch the knee making sure he wasn't limping or anything.
"Hey." He smiles giving me a kiss. "What are you going here?" he asks.
"Nothing, George invited me to meet the new players." I lie and he sees right through it. "Ok fine.I was worried and wanted to make sure everything was fine with you." I confess. I look up expecting him to be a little mad but he's looking down at me with a cute smile.
"I love that you care for me this much." He says wrapping his arms around me.
"Of course I do."
I stay and watch the team come together and a make a wish kid comes to break down the team, Jimmy is so good with kids.
I wait with Kieana until he's showered and ready to go home.
We drive home in separate cars and I realize how silly I was to come, but I'm glad I did.
We arrive home and he helps me start making dinner.
"I have a good feeling about this season."
"I do too."
—Week 3 of the 2019 regular season—
"Stay undefeated baby." I say to Jimmy as we walk into the stadium together. He squeezes my hand gently bringing it up to kiss the back of it. "Hey you haven't done that in a while." I tease making him smile.
"I know, I'm sorry."
"You don't have to apologize." I laugh. "Why'd your wear a suit?" I ask noticing he's wearing a super nice one.
"Special occasion." He says making me playfully roll my eyes.
Once we get to the outside of the locker room I'm used to him stepping inside alone, but instead he drops his bags and he grabs my hand leading me outside to the field. It's empty with the exception of crew memebers.
"What's going on?" I ask with a laugh.
He walks me all the way to the middle of the field before stopping. He holds both my hands gently and looks nervous.
"I love you." He finally says.
"Oh my god Jimmy you're so cheesy." I tease. I can't believe he brought me all the way here just to say that.
"I have loved you for 5 years Ana and you've loved me through thick and thin. I know I'm not the easiest to love at times, but you always find a way. You caught me off guard 5 ½ years ago and I thank god everyday for putting me in that path because it led me to you. I wouldn't be here living my dream if it wasn't for you. I can't promise you it'll always be easy with me, but I can promise to love you every single day for the rest of my life." He says. I smile and watch through my teary eyes as he bends down on one knee. "Ana Sofia, will you marry me?" He asks opening the ring box to me.
"Yes baby of course I will!" I say kneeling down and hugging him.
"No that's not how it works you stand up." He laughs but I don't care.
I hear clapping and look around seeing the team and coaching staff at the sidelines.
"Put the ring on!" I hear George yell. I help Jimmy stand and he slides the ring on my finger. I smile down looking at my hand before the team comes over to congratulate us. Then I see his family and Denise is in tears—I am too but I'm supposed to be.
"Ok now let's kick the Steelers ass." George yells after we spend a couple minutes on the field.
We're engaged, this is nuts.