2.

"Beth!" I turned at my attention to my nickname. With a small smile, I saw her wide smile as she skipped to me.

Her blonde hair bounced with each step, her eyes wrinkled as she stopped in front of me and wrapped her arms around me in a hug.

"Hey, Steph." I greeted as we hugged, rocking from side to side. "How was your day?"

Steph blushed as we released each other and she slipped her arm in with mine as we walked away from the school cafe.

"Are you blushing?" I squealed at her. I like hanging out with Steph because I can be myself, my real self. Not timid, not shy, not guarded and not in my shell.

"Yes..." Steph whispered to me.

"Would Tommy Diaz have anything to do with that?" I teased her playfully, remembering about the boy she told me about.

"Shhhh." Steph giggled as we went to our usual tree and sat on the grass, pleased to find it hasn't been taken over by the new year new students.

I beamed widely at my best friend as we both opened our bags and pulled out our lunches. Steph had some kind of leftovers to what resembled Chinese takeaway and I had a jam sandwich.

I bit into my stale bread, hiding the disgusted look on my face, willing myself to swallow my mouthful.

"Tommy and I had maths together, we've been talking since we saw each other at the shopping centre last week, when you bailed on me." Steph teased. I looked down, ashamed that I hid away from my tormentors. Steph saw it and gave out a small dramatic gasp. "I was teasing, Beth. Don't sweat it."

"Oh," I smiled widely. "I know that, keep going. Tell me the rest." I went to take another mouthful of my sandwich but remembered the bread was stale and lowered my hands.

"Well, we had maths together and he flirted with me! He is such a spunk! Did you know he plays electric guitar?"

I kept my smile on my face, listening to Steph rattle on about her latest crush. I was happy for her, I really was.

"Oh, he asked me out too!" She squealed at me, her eyes wide. The excitement was radiating off her.

"Oh em gee, Stephanie!" I squealed back, excited and flapping my hands. "Wow! What are you going to wear? Where are you going?"

"I don't know yet." Steph blushed again, looking down at her food. It was like she just remembered she had food and shoveled in a mouthful. "So, how was your day so far?" She asked me, her mouth full of food.

"Urgh! Geography was horrible, Steph. I'm stuck next to-"

"Oh no, do you have to sit next to someone?" I could hear the teasing in her voice as I scowled at her, pulling my beanie down again.

"Yes!" I cried out. "I couldn't concentrate, Steph. It was horrible." I added, pulling on the tips of my plait.

Steph gave me a look of sympathy. She watched as I wrapped my sandwich back up and placed it on my bag.

"You didn't have any trouble with Lisa and her friends, did you?" She asked me hesitantly.

Remembering how she tried to trip me in history floated in my head. "No." I smiled, shaking my head.

I saw how Steph relaxed upon my words, breathing out a sigh of relief.

"Watch it, you loser!"

Steph and I both turned to the voice as we peeked around the tree.

On the other side, a couple metres away, we watched as some kid stumbled backwards. He looked younger than the boys our age and I assumed he would be grade nine or ten.