41

Ally was in a fizzle Saturday. It was her day off and she was fussing with Steph and I.

"Now, here is some money. Go to the movies. Go shopping. Get lunch, dinner, whatever. Just let me know where you both are and an E.T.A. on home time." She fussed, handing over the notes.

I stared at her, confused as to why she was handing me money.

"Take it, Elizabeth." She said sternly to me.

"I..."

"You will. You will enjoy yourself. Be a teenager. Do what kids your age do. Have fun." She urged us. "Now, do you need a lift?"

"No, mum. Thanks. We'll be right." Steph smiled brightly at Ally.

"Are you sure? I'm heading towards the shopping centre. I've got a hair appointment."

"Yeah. We are good. Thanks." Steph stated. "We have a lift."

I turned my head to Steph, confused. "We do?"

Steph nodded at me, making her hair move as well. "Yes. Tommy and Dean."

Normally, if I hadn't developed some kind of feelings for Dean, I would have arched an eyebrow, groan and mumble out about girl time. But I have developed some kind of feelings for that guy and now all I said was oh.

Ally left, leaving us alone for a few and it was enough time for a girl chat.

"Beth, I know how you are, how you work and I'm also trying not to pry, but your reactions lately about Tommy and mainly Dean have been some what different to a few weeks ago."

"That's you prying." I stated softly to her.

Steph jumped from one foot to another, excitable about the topic. "Come on! My nose is itching. Tell me what's happening?"

I stared at my friend in utter disbelief. "What reaction were you expecting out of me then? The whole 'ohhhhh, really? Why? Wada bout gal time?' That reaction?" I slumped my shoulders and made out a nasally tone as I faked my whinge.

It was enough to have Steph in a fit of giggles than I started.

After a couple minutes, we calmed down, our smiles wide.

"Friends." I finally answered Steph's question.

Steph's smile went smaller but stayed on her face. "It's okay if there's... more."

Then before another word was shared, we heard a car horn honking, letting us know our ride was here. Steph opened the front door and waited till I left to close it and skipped in front of me. Her happy demeanor was radiating out of her. Steph's hair was loose as she wore a tight white shirt under black overalls that we're like a dress.

I however had my black tights and converse shoes with a grey singlet that Steph did a knot in and my beanie.

Tugging on a handful of strands of hair, we went to the car and got in, saying our hellos before Tommy drove off.

****

Dean and I were sitting at a table, watching Tommy and Steph bowl in the distance.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" Dean asked before sipping at his coke.

"You don't have to watch me like a hawk. I hurt my wrist. That's all. I'm fine." I replied back to him, looking at my sore right wrist. I may have sprained it, bowling. "But yes. I'm enjoying myself. I feel normal."

"Good."

I took a deep breath and released it, a small smile on my face.

"I know you are trying to keep me in a cheerful mood, Dean." I then added.