24

Dean and I were having a good time, laughing about something trivial when I heard a phone go off. I automatically assumed it was Dean's, still not used to owning one myself.

Dean checked his and placed it away and it clicked to me that it was mine. I pulled out my phone, seeing the message and the time. "Geez, it's already after four." I exclaimed before reading the message from Steph.

She was asking when was I coming home.

"I better go." I sighed to Dean, standing up and picking up my school bag. "Steph is getting worried."

Dean looked at the phone in my hand. "When did you get a phone?" He asked me in a calm manner.

"Oh, um, my aunt bought it for me."

"That is, very generous of her."

I shrugged, not knowing what exactly he meant.

"Elizabeth, that's a grand in your hands."

I snapped my eyes to my phone. I don't know what it's worth. I've never had one before. "Cool aunt." I whispered out to her.

"I reckon." Dean laughed. "She took you out, you returned full of piercings, a new phone."

I looked at my phone, staring at it, trying not to blush. I felt weird, inside, that Dean is noticing these things.

"Come on, I'll take ya back home."

I nodded and got all my stuff, shoving it in to my bag. I said goodbye to Dean's dad and we went to the car.

"Are you still coming with us on the weekend?" Dean asked as he reversed the car out of the drive way.

"Uh, I think so. I dunno."

Dean put the car into gear. "Don't be so worried, Beth. It's just me, Tommy, Stephanie and you."

"Why the coast?"

"Well, Tommy and I play together. We got a gig at a small venue and we are playing there Friday night, a battle of the bands."

I nodded again, processing the words. "That's cool." Then I smiled at him.

"Yeah. If we hit it off, might get famous." He chuckled. "Drop out of high school and travel."

My face froze. "Drop out of school?" That means he won't be there at all.

I didn't look at Dean, instead, I stared straight ahead. Suddenly a hand was on my arm and I looked over to it then to Dean's face. "Not for a while. Hell, it might not happen at all."

"Yeah." I whispered loudly.

"Hey," Dean called to me softly. We had stopped outside of Ally's house but I didn't move.

"What?"

"Did you want to do dinner one night this week?"

His question surprised me and I was speechless.

"With the face suckers, of course." Dean grinned in a cheeky manner making me giggle. But it happened again. That girly giggle. I quickly closed my mouth, my eyes wide and my hand on the door handle.

"Thanks for the lift." I said in a quick manner. "I'll see ya tomorrow." Then without meaning to, I slammed the car door and nearly ran to the front door, sneaking inside.

My heart was racing and I felt embarrassed. That damn girly giggle, that high pitched noise is gonna be the death of me.

*****

"A one day suspension?" Ally looked at me with a straight face. "Why?"

I sighed and sat on the bar stool, leaving my bag to drop by my feet.

"There's this stupid girl at school." I started. "Lisa."

"The same one as last week?"

I nodded. "She keeps calling me names like slag and slut. I've tried to ignore her, but it's so hard. Then I snapped. Again."

Ally sighed and gave me that look of pity. She was in scrubs, obviously just arriving home.

"I... I dont know. I don't know what to do, what to think. The school rang me, Lisa wants to press charges for you physically assaulting her twice now. But she is bullying you." Ally sighed again, turning in a full circle and her hand on her face. "I'm calling them back. I will be telling them that you did retaliate to her, that you are just as much a victim as she is." The Ally nodded as she pulled out her phone. "Yeah, that."

"So am I in trouble?" I questioned her, making Ally pause.

"I don't know. I'm on the fence. I want to hear both sides completely, not that I don't believe you, honey, but I need to know. Ah, yes, I want to speak..." Ally walked away, her phone to her ear.

I quickly whipped out my phone and messaged my aunt, just to say hi, that I was checking in. I thanked her again and admitted to her that I might not be going away for the weekend due to my stunt today.

Her reply was nearly the same as Ally's. I shouldn't be fighting but I also need to stand up for myself.

Groaning, I dropped my arms as I left the room, taking my bag with me. I went by Steph's room and poked my head in. "I'm back." I called to her.

Steph looked up from her text book and smiled. "Hey, killer." She teased. "Jokes. How was Dean's?"

"Uh? Fine." I quickly answered. "We hung out, played guitar." I shrugged then. "That's it. Why?"

Steph shook her head. "Just asking. No reason."

"Okay."

"Okay."

I quickly left her room and went to mine and had a shower before facing Ally again and my consequences.

After that, my hair still wet, I made my way down to the kitchen to offer my help. Ally was making dinner and I let her know I was there to help.

She gave me a list of things to do and that's when she spoke. "I can't be mad at you for defending yourself. I'm proud that you did. But I can't let you hit anyone whenever they have a bad word to say about you. Then that boy got dragged in to it too."

I stayed quiet, cutting the vegetables, listening to Ally. I really do respect her opinion and even though she wasn't yelling, I know she cares. My own parents wouldn't put in this much effort.

"I'm sorry, Ally." I said softly. Hell, I was disappointed in myself and I knew Ally was too.

Ally put the knife down from her own job and took my knife out off my hands before she engulfed me in a hug. "Don't let anyone tell you you are not good enough, Elizabeth. You deserve better than what you had. "