38.

What felt like hours was seconds when I heard a noise behind the front wooden door.

"Beth," Dean called out through the wood. "Go home." He didn't open the door, but I could see his silhouette through the frosted glass next to the door.

"No!" I snapped at him. "What's going on? Why did you get suspended again?" His statement of two words had made me annoyed. I banged on the door again. "Open the door."

"Go home, Elizabeth!" Dean snapped and I paused. His voice sounded coarse and he called me by my full name. I frowned, trying to fight the emotions that were coming up.

"Why?" I whispered out. "Why are you hiding?" Then my voice got louder. "I told you! Everything! I have no more secrets left to say. You know everything about me, Dean. Why can't you tell me?"

There were tears in my eyes because I felt betrayed. I felt ashamed again.

The other side of the door was silent and after a long minute, I nodded my head and stepped back. Sighing, I turned around, ready to walk away when I heard a lock click.

"I didn't want you to see because I didn't want you to worry." Dean said to my back.

Worry? About what? I turned to him and saw Dean lean against his front door, his face looking downwards but I still saw it. The bruising around his eye. My own eyes scanned what I could of him. There was a bandaged wrapped around his arm, just above his elbow.

Stepping to him, shocked by what I saw, I spoke softly. "What happened, Dean?"

Dean looked up at me and gave me a small smile. I saw the cut on his lip and the full intensity of his left eye.

He ushered me inside and closed the door, running his hand through his hair.

"Yesterday afternoon, after I dropped you off." He shrugged as he led the way to his room.

"What else?" My guilt was eating me raw.

"I went to go tell Matthew to tell his bitch to back off. We use to be good friends, years ago. I got there and those dumb ass's were there as well."

"The twins." Alec and Kasey.

"And the whole football team."

I gasped as we stopped at Dean's room. He turned to look at me and I lifted my hand to touch his face, studying his injuries.

"I told you, don't defend me." I managed to say in a whisper.

"Why not?"

I bit down on my lip, looking at his face. "Because I'm not worth it, Dean."

Dean snatched my hand, surprising me, making me gasp.

"What?" He snapped at me. "Elizabeth, don't you see? You are worth it." He then said softly, my hand still in his.

I looked in to his eyes, trying to find something, anything there while hiding my own feelings.

"Don't start that again, please, Dean." I whispered to him.

"But it's true." He said in a low tone. We were so close to each other, my breathing was uneven and I was anxious yet curious as to what would happen next.

I shook my head, shaking away the thoughts in it, denying Dean of his statement. "I'm broken, Dean. Damaged and unstable." My voice was so low, so soft, I wasn't sure if I even heard myself.

"You're perfect." Dean growled, pulling me to him and our lips met. I looked at him wide eyed, surprised, shocked, an array of multitude feelings soaring through me. My thoughts were in overdrive, my senses tingling, his lips on mine.