You Missed your Calling

Mo Yuans mind was far calmer after he left her with a story that he actually wanted to listen to, but with enough energy to try one final time, before he was forced to rest a few days, he really did want to make contact with Di Jun.  He was the only man he knew that had the cultivation and knowledge to get them out of there with the least amount of risk.

Now passing though the barrier, his mind steeled itself against the dead who were still lingering unseen by everyone else, but he had more than enough skills to keep himself safe, so long as she kept the talking going and Qing Cang himself didn't suddenly appear.

Of course no such thing would happen, because Qing Cang was according to those he had eavesdropped on,  still alive and though he was injured, he was apparently in good spirits which was why Mo Yuan wanted to get out of there.  So long as he was incapacitated, there was nothing stopping that man from launching another war.

Only the moment he reached the fork in the river, then her story was quietly pushed to the back of his mind.  It was just enough so it wasn't a distraction, but he could still hear the words which he allowed himself to listen to for a short while as he sped through the clouds.

"For months, the Emperors third consort sought every opportunity to bring disorder to the youngest of the consorts and the Emperors absolute favourite, but seeing as she was all but untouchable, third consort instead resorted to black magic.  Making an effergy of the beautiful young woman, which was an almost perfect replica, she then had a maid steal a little of her hair from the rubbish that was emptied out at the end of the day."

"With it, an ancient spell was woven and no sooner did it take effect, then the young womans spirit was pulled into the little doll where it was trapped for all eternity.  Only she didn't stop there.   Seeing how devastated the Emperor was at finding his beloved consorts body dead in her bed after returning from a day of state affairs, then she took her jealousy a step further."

"Mounting the doll onto a small pin, she then had a master carver create a beautiful, one off musicbox in the shape of The Hall of Supreme Harmony which was within the Forbidden City walls.  The piece was so detailed, that the Emperor immediately fell in love with it when she gifted it to him as a way to break through the grief.   Only the moment he lifted the lid, and saw the little doll carved in the likeness of his most beloved consort, then his extreme agony at losing her was soon replaced with bittersweet happiness, especially when she showed him how to play the music that was hidden withn."

"Turning the little handle built into the side, his tears of happiness welled as his beautiful little consort danced for him while the  music, which was called 'Double Happiness' a piece of music meant for lovers, filled his chamber with her soft tune that he would play everytime he felt sadness.  Only each time the music played, then her mournful soul would cry.  She could see him weeping through the wooden eyes of the doll, but  no matter how hard she tried, she could not gain his attention, he was deaf and blind to her and in agony, she was forced to watch as his grief became so profound, that she began to fear for his life.

"Only the sadness did not last long, because his third consort ensured that she was fully in his line of vision at all times while revelling in the knowledge that his little consort was just a hands width away from him, yet it was herself that was in his arms consoling him and helping him to move forward, despite the fact, that she was the only one who could hear the girl crying.  In fact, the more she cried, the harder the third consort worked to gaining the Emperors favour"

"And though it would take months, eventually a day came, when he began to pay her attention for not only all the hours she had put into easing his brokien heart, but for her thoughtfulness at gifting him a precious reminder of the woman he would always love.  And in time, it would eventually become the imperial treasure that he gifted to the third consorts son who would also go onto becoming the next Crown Prince."