A Peach and a Belch

Waking the next morning, Mo Yuan smile grew wider at the light that was still there. He had been awake most of the night trying to force his eyes to see beyond it, only he ended up straining them, and had she not forced him down onto his pallet before weaving a sleep spell over him, he would still be trying to see through it.

They had missed their excursion to release the mist, because for one, he was just too excited to finally see a little light. It wasn't enough to make out shapes, but it was definitely no longer dark, but still, he knew he would have to ease up on the eye exercises for that day at least, because his eyes were now sore, and no sooner were they open, then the soft feel of the wet cloth on his face and his robe opening so she could wash him, immediately had him thinking back to that kiss.

Gently taking hold of her hand, Mo Yuan closed his gown in embarrassment. He had not meant to kiss her and though she had merely giggled a little, he had felt her shyness by the way she had pulled back on him. Her tone of voice remained the same as she questioned him about the light he could see, but her body had shifted back a little as if wanting some distance. He didn't think she was a virgin, or inexperienced going by the ribald stories she told, but he keenly felt some decorum in the way her hand had quickly pressed into his chest to gently push him back.

And he would have left it at that, only the situation they had found themselves in along with what she had been doing to keep him comfortable for the over two month, meant he would now have to ease her out of her role as saviour and into that of just a friend, a kind and compassionate friend where he would firmly place her. And that meant no longer allowing her to sit in his lap, cuddle into him, kiss his forehead when she thought he was asleep and definitely no more bed washing.

"Guishi Yuan, give me the cloth, I will wash myself. You just have to show me where the water is." he commanded her gently and taking the cloth from her hand before she could argue.

"But......" she began to argue, only to sigh softly as his other hand began to search for the bowl of water.

"Alright, I will look away until you are done, then perhaps I tell you another story until its time to leave again." she suggested as she rose to her feet to turn back towards her own pallet and feeling as if something between them had changed.

She wasn't sure what it was, but he seemed different to her, as if a wall had suddenly risen between them, though she knew she shouldn't worry too much, after all, they were going to be rescued soon, and of course, say goodbye so it seemed to her that Shibing was now preparing her for it. It hurt a lot, because she had grown so used to him, especially the cuddles which really did make her feel safe, but the thought of losing them and never seeing him again, only made her want to cry.

"Alright, but no more smut. I want to hear your cleanest story." he replied with a light chuckle when she began to groan.

Instantly forgetting the changes she knew were coming, the fight to keep her stories going soon kicked in.

"But Shibing, that leaves only a handful of stories." she whined down at her feet having already chosen her next story about a man who sneaked into the Emperial Palace disguised as a eunuch to service the Emperors harem before getting caught when a child resembled him a little too closely.

"I mean it Guishi Yuan." he warned her laughing as he quickly washed himself down, while she went and heated a little water for them both to drink.

"Fine, but I do think we should try to create one of our very own before we leave this place, then at least we'll have a story to remember each other by." she suggested and only making herself sad again as she returned to find him finished and sitting up with his back against the wall and turning his head a little to listen for her footsteps.