Chapter 19: Antonio Summers

"I need to go, sweetheart."

"No, please, stay. We can do something else."

"I enjoy Outlander, that's not the reason I have to leave."

"Alpha can kiss my ass."

"It's partly for your safety."

"I'm safe when you're around."

I lean down, kissing her head.

"Of course, but I must go."

"But-"

"I'm sorry, I truly am."

Dakota huffs, digging her face into my chest in protest, sliding her body further upon mine. As much as I hate to, I have to ignore the feeling in me that desperately wants to stay. I hate to leave her when she's so cute and cuddly and warm and sleepy and perfect, but I also have a job to do. 

It's for our good. I know that much. The more I do my job, the safer this town is, and the safer she is. 

Right now, doing my job isn't my favorite thing in the world, especially knowing I'm going to leave her looking so damn beautiful and feeling so snuggly, but in the end, I also know I do get to spend time with some of my favorite people on this planet doing something I usually do enjoy. 

But she looks so pretty and she's so cozy.

No, Antonio, you have to go. To keep her safe, you have to go.

"Do you want me to tell you to leave? That way you have to."

"Yes, please. Kick me out."

"Get out of here, Antonio. You've ruined this night for me, and I just, I need a break, okay? I can't believe that you said that about my favorite character, and I need to recoup alone. Please leave. I beg of you, go."

I scrunch my eyebrows, trying to figure out what she means by what she just said. She wants me to leave? Why? I didn't say anything mean about her favorite character, I don't even know her favorite character. And why would she be so upset about that? Why would she need to recoup alone, whatever the fuck that means? I don't understand.

She continues to speak as though she is incredibly upset, tears even beginning to brim in her eyes. Why is she so-oh. I am an idiot. She 'kicked me out.' 

Ah, she's really fucking good at that. She must have been an actor in her past life. Wow, I was not expecting that level of commitment. The tears were a nice touch.

"I'll see you tomorrow, sweetheart."

"Bye, Tony. Yeah, I'm going to call you Tony from now on."

I kiss her forehead as she grins mischievously up at me. I lay a light kiss on her lips, unable to help myself to another delicious taste of her. Her lips are so soft. I adore this woman. 

She waves goodbye to me before I shut the door, calling out another thank you for cooking her dinner. It was an incredibly simple meal. It was only roasted asparagus which takes about fifteen minutes, buttered potatoes which also takes about fifteen minutes, vegan creamed spinach for protein, and strawberries. 

Nothing over the top fancy, but she seemed to enjoy it more than I expected. Food is always better when someone else cooks it for you, maybe that was it.

I peek back up at her apartment to see her standing on the porch wrapped up in the fuzzy gray couch blanket. I cannot stop the smile spreading across my face as I gaze longingly up at her. I want to be right there in her arms. 

Earlier, Nick called me once he had my bike and asked if I was close enough to the warehouse for him to walk back, and I said yes and told him which apartment to drop it off at. At least I don't have to force myself to walk and not turn back.

But though it's one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do in my life, I find enough willpower to straddle my bike, put on my helmet because safety is first always, and start my bike. 

With one final wave, I seamlessly drive away from the side of the street and head toward the warehouse where I am spending the next couple of hours.

Even though it's a short drive, the feeling of being on my bike is so freeing. After feeling so stuck in the sorrow of my childhood and instantly going into the military that is mixed with memories of all types of complex natures, riding my motorcycle is a constant outlet for happiness. 

I understand the dangers of riding, and I'm not saying I haven't had negative moments riding, but I don't know, all the positive things I feel when I get on completely overtake any bad or negative experiences. The pleasure of being on this vehicle never falls away.

I park in the back parking lot of the warehouse, knowing that the area is more protected than the front with an access code needed to get past the fence. The barbed wire on the fence stops anyone from wanting to try and jump over. 

Plus the fact that they will have a chapter of a large motorcycle club after them helps deter anyone too.

I gracefully swing my leg over the seat and slide off my helmet as I make my way into the warehouse. 

When I walk into the warehouse, pushing the heavy metal door open and having it close with a soft thud behind me, I'm greeted by the waves and smiles of official members including Carbon, Slasher, and Scout along with prospects, including Nick, Piper, and Theodore (who has been our tattoo artist for a while but has decided he wanted to try and become official).

I enjoy having Piper around. Now that Alpha has opened the doors for women to be prospects and eventually become official members if the majority agrees she's ready, we've had more women feeling up to the task. Piper though, she's just so ridiculously smart, always giving Bullet a run for his money. They can't now due to not wanting abuses of power, but I could see them together. 

Bullet would probably kill me if he ever heard me say that. Now that I've got Dakota, I would rather not die. I would rather not think about that right now or ever. It's terrible.

I head to my workstation which is kind of set apart from the rest of the team. Because I get very distracted by objects, people, noises, and things in general, it was a team decision (mostly me) that it would be best if I sat somewhat apart from the main area of the work room. 

There's just a lot of heavy traffic, and I do have another desk there in case I need to be communicating and collaborating with my besties, but that only happens on the rare occasion when something is wrong or is about to go wrong. 

Having a seat toward the back gives me the space I need to concentrate while also being able to stalk everyone, I enjoy it.

Once I set my helmet down and get comfortable in my seat, I glance around my desk for anything astray, messages, or random objects that I can distract myself with. The only thing I find is a quick and messy written note from Alpha. 

He's telling me what my work is for tonight, that I can leave whenever it's done, not to get distracted, and don't think about the fact that Dakota - he notes he approves of her even though I didn't want or need it - is sleeping in her apartment all alone.

There are multiple reasons why this was not a helpful message. 

One, I can't do anything when people boss me around; I don't work like that. Two, now he's got me thinking about Dakota, the exact opposite of what he said to do. Three, he gets to be at home with Persephone and I'm jealous. Four, he didn't even try to make the note interesting.

I can't believe I'm here. I mean, why the hell does Alpha think it's a good reason for me of all people to do computer work, especially when I don't even get to do comm work. Gross.