Chapter 14: Dakota Knight

I don't spend too much time in the house. I glance at the backyard once more, but then I know it's time for me to go. Besides, my stomach is grumbling louder than it has in a while, I should probably eat something. I reflect on my emotions about what I have just done as I walk to the bar. I figure I can find a good lunch there, and Antonio might be there as well. 

I feel sweat drip down my neck, the heat thick, the sun climbing higher in the cloudless sky. The sweat on the inside of my thighs sticks my skin together, and my shorts begin to rise closer to the apex between my legs. 

I grumble in annoyance and peel the insides of the shorts away from my skin. That's what I get for having thicker, muscular thighs.

I pinch the front of my shirt, letting some air flow down the chest and abdomen area of my body. Thank goodness for deodorant; I don't know what I would do without it. The streets aren't super busy right now, and normally that isn't uncommon. 

The town does have a somewhat large population, but it varies so much. Some people are at work, some are retired folks who like to stay home (maybe watching the grandkids), some work from home and most kids are in school. 

But since today is a Saturday, I am surprised there aren't more people out and about. They might be at the lake too though to try to cool off or at home to shelter themselves away from the sun.

Music plays softly from inside the bar, the crooning of Frank Sinatra sliding through the cracks in the door. I've always been a Sinatra fan myself. I just remember my parents slowly dancing to the music while my brothers and I would throw plushies at one another. 

When I think about those days, I guess I realize that my childhood wasn't bad. I had a wonderful childhood, and I was the one that royally fucked that up. The situation wasn't entirely my fault, but it's true that I also could have done something to help, but I froze. 

The car came out of nowhere.

"Kota, hey. Can I grab you something?"

I didn't even realize I stepped into the bar until Scout called out to me.

"Uh, yeah. I was going to get something for lunch."

"I can bring the menu to you. Sit anywhere you like."

"Thank you. Love the music choice by the way."

Scout smiles at me, disappearing behind the bar while I make my way to the same booth that Antonio and I sat in last time. He doesn't say another word until he brings me the menu.

"Do you think you could come by the bar when you're ready?"

"Sure, that's not a problem."

"I'll bring you water until you decide."

"Sounds good, thank you."

"Of course."

He makes his way back to the bar, is quick to come back with water, and then goes back to handle the day-drinking customers. He was telling me last night that although technically he doesn't have to do that job, he doesn't mind. He gets to know all the town gossip, and he doesn't have to go on runs (whatever that means) when he doesn't want to. 

He also told me that Whiskey, who scolded Antonio and me last night, does kind of the same thing, but he is more willing to go one run (again, I don't know what that means). Instead of questioning it last night, I just let it go. It wasn't worth having a huge conversation over last night amidst the fun.

After eyeing the menu for a few moments, I head up to the bar, ordering a Caesar salad with the dressing on the side, garlic bread, and a Sprite. It's going to be perfectly soothing for such a hot day. The air conditioner is also one of the best things on this planet. 

I sit back down in my seat, almost immediately hearing the rumble of maybe six or seven motorcycle engines as they drive down the street. I scrunch my nose while they park in front of the bar, not worried about the sound of the motorcycles, but my anxiety about maybe holding a conversation with people I don't know that well. 

The bar door opens with a wide swing, about four voices talking over each other at once, their deep and grumbling voices almost unable to hold a real conversation.

I keep my head down, hoping that someone isn't going to recognize me. I guess it's my fault that I chose the bar. It's too late now.

"Dakota! What's going on?"

I pick up my head and accept that I've been caught. It's Bullet, I think. I met him last night.

"Oh, hi. I'm good. And you?"

"I'm doing pretty good. What have you been doing on this fine morning?"

"Nothing big. I did stop by my childhood house."

He pauses for a moment before coming closer to the table to talk with me.

"How was that?"

"Complicated."

"I understand. The memories there are so mixed."

"Yeah. It's sometimes hard to separate the good parts from the bad, but it could have been worse. I know that for sure."

He claps my shoulder supportively, understanding that it's a complex situation, and changes topics. We chat about random things, including something about goats in Canada, what I'm going to eat for lunch, and him complaining about the ridiculous heat. 

I can see why Antonio and he are close friends. They both have that silliness about them that probably allows them to have a teasing yet fun time together. I'm glad that Antonio has found his place, that there are people here that support him in his every endeavor. 

It can be hard to find places and people like that. I'm talking from experience, clearly. When I was still going to therapy once a week, I knew that someone was there for me, but it also felt kind of backward. 

Personally, it just felt weird to pay someone to listen to me and give me advice. That's just not something I felt comfortable with. I've always wanted people I could rely on that I didn't pay.

Finding that though is harder than it seems.

Scout comes back with my food, my stomach grumbling instantly. Both men smile down at me, and I know I'm blushing from embarrassment. Why am I like this?

The bar door opens once again, and I find myself locking eyes with Antonio. Butterflies flutter in my stomach as he sends me a happy grin, his fingers moving slightly in a waving motion. Oh my goodness, I adore him. 

Bullet high fives me and without making a big fuss about it moves out of his seat, so Antonio can come join me. He doesn't say a word, kisses me on the cheek, and waves Scout over to grab his something. 

I don't know what he says as they talk too low for me to hear, but noticing the playful smile on his face, I can't help but feel nervous about what Poison said to him. I'm sure it's nothing bad. What could he possibly do?

"How are you doing today, sweetheart?"

I heave a sigh, feeling comfortable enough with him to tell him the truth.

"I honestly don't know. I went to my childhood house and stepped inside."

"Woah, that's huge. I know you're trying to confront everything, but you don't have to do it alone, you know."

"I know that, but I also think it's important that I do. I'm just tired."

"I would be too."

He brushes a piece of my hair away from my eyes, tucking it behind my ear, his eyes never leaving mine.

"How is your day going?"

"It's going well. A group of us just did a patrol to check up on our territory and make sure no one was causing trouble."

"Do you have to do that every day?"

"Multiple times a day, but we have our shifts, and there's always someone to fill in in case you can't make your shift for some reason."