Chapter 12: Antonio Summers

Dakota's eyes don't stop staring into mine, not even as I wrap my arm around her waist. I brush a kiss on top of her head while she snuggles deeper into my hold. She can't by any means be comfortable. She squirms but to no relief, but when Persephone and Fiona come to pull her to the dance floor, she's quick to go. 

I'm glad that they've taken a liking to her. 

Now for Beatrice, the sting bee. But only Whiskey gets to call her that. I used to be angry about that since it's a great nickname, but if anyone were to call Dakota 'sweetheart' I don't even know what I would do. That nickname is for me and me only. 

I watch her for a moment, seeing that Beatrice has joined the group, and they all seem to be having a great time. A throat clears behind me, snapping my gaze away from Dakota.

"You are so fucking whipped."

"Bullet, stop. I'm not whipped."

"You are as whipped as you can get. You are the definition of a simp."

"Look, it's not my fault. Just like it wasn't my fault when I caught your shirt on fire."

"First, the shirt catching on fire was completely your fault and I almost died."

"Bitch, you think I'm dramatic. Have you heard yourself?"

"Second, being whipped is good."

"At least that's what Anatasia Steele or whoever the fuck thinks," I don't miss the looks I'm given, "I am a simp, sure. I don't mind that. I will provide for her, better than you provide for your goddamn goat."

"For the last time! I don't have a goat!"

"Then what could have possibly eaten my underwear? You got an answer for that?!"

"Nothing ate your underwear. You lost them during that backpacking trip in Canada."

"Where the fuck would I have left my only pair of underwear?!"

"There were no goats in Canada!"

Tank rubs his forehead before getting up and grumbling that he needs a stronger drink.

He just can't handle me.

"Poison, all I'm trying to say is, you're good for one another. We can all tell you care for each other. I'm glad that you found someone. Hopefully, Butter likes her too."

"She will. Butter most definitely will."

"I'm confused. Why do we care about your cat's opinion?"

Bullet and I gasp, whipping our heads toward Bear.

"Who are you?"

I have never heard Bullet sound so offended. Well, that's not 100% true.

"I'm just trying to understand this conversation."

"You aren't the only one."

"Thank you, Scout. I appreciate it."

"Kiss ass!"

"Poison enough."

"But Vegas..."

"No. This conversation is over. We all like the girl. For the sake of my sanity, go dance with her."

I send the group a cheesy smile, a laugh bubbling from deep in my chest. They all shoo me away with their hands, and I make my way to the makeshift dance floor. Dakota sways her hips to the music and the tendrils of her platinum blonde hair swish along her back to the beat of her body.