Chapter 8

I've been slipping in and out of consciousness for a while now.

I heard Elwin, Grady, Edaline, and most of all Keefe.

The adults all sounded far away, even Elwin.

Shouldn't Elwin be working on, I don't know, keeping me alive?

Even though all the adults were far away, I think Keefe was right next to me.

He kept whispering in my ear, saying things like "It's alright, you'll be alright" "You will wake up. You better wake up, Froggy." "Come on, Foster. You can do this."

I also heard him argue with Tam. Somehow, even while he's worried, he found a way to annoy him.

This time, he was convince Tam was gay.

I don't know why, because I always see gay people as happy, and (no offense) Tam is the opposite of that.

I let out a light chuckle just thinking about it.

Wait— I made a sound.

I can tell the people around me heard it as well because of the gasps that immediately filled my ears.

"Do you thing she's awake?"

"Is she okay?"

"Did she just laugh?"

"What will she think about how she looks?"

I hear people whisper a bunch of questions, and I have no idea how I heard them.

I also don't know what to think about the last one.

What's wrong with the way I look?

"You there, Foster?" I hear Keefe whisper into my ear.

'Yeah', I say into his mind.

I feel him jump a little when he hears my voice in his head.

I can still hear everyone whispering. It's kinda annoying.

"Um, you can stop whispering now" , and I I say, opening my eyes.

Cue the gasps.

Very loud gasps. Very, very loud gasps.

I open my eyes, expecting my eyes to hurt because they aren't used the the light. Instead, I see as if nothing had happened.

Some people would've expected it to be dull after what I wen through, but it's just normal.

The only thing is that living things that some people think have no spirit, like plants, have a lingering feeling of sadness, hate, or regret.

As if they can't live to be the best they can be.

And as I realized this, I also realized this was the problem I was here to solve.

All this goes through my head in about 2 seconds.

I sit up quickly. Really quickly.

I just thought of sitting up, and in a flash, there I was, sitting up.

I don't even feel dizzy from sitting up so quickly - or at all since I'm assuming I was out for a while.