Chapter 9

*~*
In that moment, I see a small fraction of my newly found power, and my trust of Keefe.
*~*

I feel like I'm back in kindergarten and the teacher is asking me that question she asks everyone at the end of the day.

"So kids, what did you learn today"

"Nothing really, just that I can make a shield around myself that no one but Keefe can go into. And that I'm the queen of the Pure Elves. And that I'm involved in a war against the Dark Elves. And that the leader of my enemy is the mother of my crush. And that I even have a crush. See, not much."

I sigh, knowing that no matter how much I dwell on my problems, they aren't going away. I might as well do something about it.

'Easier said than done'

Really, Nira? I just gave myself an inspiring-ish speech and you just had to go and ruin it.

'Well, yeah, didn't you see the crowd this morning? They obviously want answers. Why don't you just tell them? Take this one step at a time. Like a smart person.'

The crowd.

This morning.

My powers.

Me.

*~*
This morning
~
As I look around, simultaneously marveling at my shield and the number of people around me, I slowly realize that I have no idea how to take the shield down.

I look at Lex, who is still looking at me timidly after asking if I could let them in. Now I know what he means, but I have no idea how.

"Lex, I don't know how.", I say, trying not to sound too worried.

"It's okay, Sophie, I know you can do this.", he says both proudly and completely sure of it.

My heart melts at his words. If he thinks I can do it, I can do it.

My worry quickly turns into determination.

'Well, of course you can take the shield down. One, I'm here to help you, and two, you made it.'

Wow, great way to help me out.

'I know, I know, I'm very helpful'

'Just in can you forgot, we are here to help you. *mental cough* Nira *mental cough*'

Yeah, yeah, blah blah blah. This isn't a movie. Can we get on to the actual 'you help me' stuff.

'Hmph, so pushy'

'*mentaly rolls eyes* Sophie, you know how you feel tense and defensive?"

Well, yeah actually.

Now that I think about it, my whole body is tense and I'm shielding my mind; my impenetrable mind.

'Yes, see? Let down your barriers, relax. They won't hurt you.'