+7+

I peered around the double doors at the front of the building toward the parking lot, tugging at the old sweater I had thrown over my school uniform once I walked out of class. My nerves had gotten the best of me after English knowing I had to walk past the parking lot to get home- not because I was scared of seeing Frank, but because I was scared of giving in to whatever he wanted to show me. The amount of curiosity was unlike me, but Frank always left things so open-ended. I never knew if they were going to be good or bad.

I leered a moment while silently accepting that whatever Frank was doing, I would have to deal with the best I could, even if it meant complying until he was satisfied and left me alone. My efforts were bested up until then, so the last thing I could think to do was somehow suppress my desperate need to be in control. For all I knew, he was just trying to gather information about me. I just couldn't figure out if his intentions were cruel.

Adjusting one of my socks, I began walking toward the parking lot as if nothing was bothering me, silently hoping he was stuck in detention or had already left. The air was growing colder as days went by, though the leaves hadn't fully changed colors quite yet. Despite the strange macabre feeling the old stone building gave off, there was something about it that felt warm when fall came near.

Looking straight ahead, I walked down the sidewalk.

Just keep looking forward, I thought. If he sees you he sees you. If he doesn't, good.

I repeated this thought with each step until I grew more and more curious- What could Frank possibly want to show me?

My eyes began to wander as my footsteps slowed, silently looking around for Frank. I hated myself for doing it, but I couldn't seem to help it. Something in me just wanted to know. I told myself to simply find out what he wanted to show me, and go straight home. Nothing more.

My head was completely turned toward the parking lot now without realizing, beginning to wonder if he made all of it up just to mess with me. I assumed he'd find me by then, or I would see his car somewhere, but it was nowhere to be found. The smallest, faintest prick of disappointment crept into my heart- one I quickly shooed away.

Finally accepting that I would be walking straight home, I turned my head forward only to collide with another body, nearly yelling in fright.

"There you are!" a voice bellowed above me, hands gripping my arms in attempt to stabilize me.

I looked up to see Frank, his lip-ring tilting with a grin. I immediately regretted my desire to want to know more- perhaps I was being too ambitious with the idea of a surprise.

"You startled me," I huffed, his hands dropping to his sides.

"Sorry," He laughed, popping a cigarette in his mouth. "Come on."

Frank waved his hand in the direction of his car, beginning to walk. I looked in the direction of my house, and back at him again, tugging with the idea of just turning around and running. Before I could argue with myself, I was following Frank.

Once we made it to his car, he turned around.

"So... what do you need to show me?" I asked, peeking at the rust growing from the wheel well of his Grand Am.

Frank said nothing, and instead dug into the back pocket of his jeans to reveal a set of keys, jingling them in front of me.

"What?" I said, confused.

Frank still refrained from speaking, now wrestling into the opposite pocket and digging out a folded up piece of notebook paper. Unraveling it, he placed it on the hood of the car and planted his finger onto a part of the page. I raised an eyebrow at him and looked down, timidly leaning over to read what it had to say. Once I got closer, I realized it was his list.