+12+

I followed Frank around the house for a short while, unsure of how to mingle by myself with a mass of people. He made it clear that he wanted to avoid Olivia at all costs, though I didn't press any further as to why he disliked her so much. I figured she had to have done something pretty bad to make him feel that way, but I tried to keep my mind off of it. I was at least thankful that the only strange looks I seemed to get were from people that Frank knew, and the rest were unaware drunk strangers.

    The first sip I took out of my cup wasn't pleasant in any shape or form, but I sort of got used to it a few more sips in. I asked Frank how people could like that stuff so much when it tasted like that, but all he did was laugh. The only upside is the more that I drank it, the less anxious I began to feel. So I kept drinking it. In the end, I guess I did end up understanding why people liked it so much.

    Frank eventually dragged me into a back room where there were others playing beer pong, a game that he immediately hazed me for not knowing existed.

    "Want to play?" Frank smiled at me, a group of people now cleaning up from the previous game.

    "I don't know..."

    "Not to bribe you or anything, but it is on the list," he said slyly, leaning sideways as we both faced the table. "And I am a reigning champ, so it's basically free merit."

    "Merit? For a made up game?"

    "Okay miss intellectual, not all of us get certificates for our grade point averages," He teased. "Just one game."

    I looked down at my near empty cup, wondering if a little more might make me less afraid of being embarrassed.

    "Do I need more to play?" I looked up at Frank, motioning my cup toward him.

    "Atta girl," He said, grabbing the cup from my hands. "I'll be right back."

    I stood awkwardly as I waited for Frank to return, watching the others mingle about the room. It all looked so natural from the outside- friends making jokes, and having casual conversations. The entire house seemed completely void of worry, which is something I accepted I would never have the luxury of feeling. A moment of mine didn't pass that wasn't spent with uneasiness, whether it had been about the state of my secrets, or if the wrong person may be following me.

    On paper, it was just an arbitrary Friday night party that most would hardly remember a few years from then, and some would completely forget the next day. In my eyes, it was kind of like watching a lot of pleasant and comfortable lives unfold in front of me. It made me feel small.

    My back remained against the wall near the doorway, hands dug into large pockets of Frank's jacket. I suppose I was zoned out because when a body suddenly popped through the doorway and nearly ran into me, I had to suppress a yelp of surprise from how much it startled me.

    "Oh! Hi," a voice said next to me.

    I turned to see who it was, and realized I was right in front of Olivia, her hands brushing the hair out of her face.

    Oh for the love of god, of course she's even prettier up close.

    "Hi," I meekly responded, unsure how to interact with her knowing the way Frank felt about her.    

    "Have you seen a guy around- super hot punk kid, yay high, black hair?"

    "No," I immediately lied, probably coming off a little more stern than I intended.

    She huffed and looked around the room, taking a sip from her drink.

    "I could have sworn I saw him come in here," she said, slowly beginning to edge back toward the doorway. "Thanks anyway."