Chapter 24: Christmas

The holidays came, we were just 5 days away from Christmas. I was excited, not only is this my favorite holiday, but it's also Valentina's birthday, I can't believe she will be two years old.

"Valentina, no."

She quivered her lips and then tears started to fall. She was grabbing Ricardo's computer. And this little terror is known for breaking things. Last week, she took my phone and flushed it. Course it didn't went through but I was left with no phone.

I picked her up and placed her on my lap, "we need to have a talk about you breaking things." I told her as I wiped her tears. "When you grow up, I expect you to repay me my phone." I tickled her, she just giggled.

"I'm home, and why are her eyes puffy." He asked while walking towards us.

"She wanted to play with your computer. So, I told her no and she cried." I answered him as he grabbed Val.

"Your dad sent you an early Christmas present. He wanted to give it to you in person, but something about firing someone in the upper East side Bakery." He told me while pointing at a bag.

I grabbed it and it was beautiful. "Finally, after a week of being disconnected, I finally have a phone."

He just chuckled. Val saw it and extended her little arms.

"No, no devices for you. When you turn twelve, I will give you one." I lightly pinched her cheeks.

She cried again. Yeah, we're at that phase where she cries if she gets a no. I know some parents give their kids phones and iPads to calm them. But we don't want to raise her like the modern parents. We're old school.

"Come on, baby girl. Papá brought you cake." He said while getting up and took her to the kitchen. I smiled.

Dad sending me to work at that garage place was the best. Till this day I still can't believe I have a daughter and with the love of my life.

I walked to the kitchen and saw them smashing cake at each other's faces. I laughed.

"Is there a clean version of you two eating cake?" I asked while sitting next to him. Val was on the table sitting in front of him.

"Nope, it's our thing." He grinned.

"Mama." Val smashed cake, on my mouth.

"Delicious." I tickled her, she giggled.

"This is everything to me. These little moments mean the world to me." He said before pecking my lips.

"For me too." I smiled while looking at him and then at Val.

"Cake kiss!" We both kissed Val's cheeks. She laughed.

........

Christmas morning came, my family was coming for breakfast and opening presents.

We went to her bedroom and she was wide awake.

"Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas, baby girl!" We said with Ricardo at the same time.

Ricardo put a candle in the cupcake and light it up. We sang happy birthday; she was clapping and giggling.

"Don't grow up anymore." I hugged her.

"Blow the candle." Ricardo said and she did, after five tries.

The doorbell rang, and Valentina ran to the door. We went behind her and I opened up the door.

"Happy Birthday!" My parents, Aaron and Marcos said to her. She squealed. They showered her with kisses.

Minutes later, Ricardo's family came and showered Val with kisses. After a lot of pinching and hugging, we went to the table to have breakfast.