Chapter 17: Hatred & Pain

I could sense she was nervous.

Y/n: "Well Velvet, it's nice to meet you then"

I extend my hand out towards her. She looked at it confused.

Y/n: "What's wrong? You hate men or something?"

Velvet: "No!! It's just.. You aren't scared?"

Y/n: "Scared?! Are you kidding me?! No offense but I've already taken out dragons and packs of Grimm on my own. Apart from that, I've taken on dangerous men like cartel members and just evil people in general. I also got a plethora of powerful weapons to my disposal so scared of just another person who has a large hand isn't anything frightful to me"

She still looked confused but laughed about it afterwards. She looked at me with a smile.

Velvet: "Well then Y/n, it's nice to meet you then"

She shook my hand as we take off to return the children to their home. Velvet asked me to return them to the mother on my own due to her reputation of being dangerous according to wanted pictures.

Y/n: "So what did you do?"

Velvet: "Nothing wrong, on the contrary, I was mislabeled by the people due to my arm despite having saved the victim"

Y/n: "What happened?"

Velvet: "I saw a man being attacked by Grimm infront of his family. I decided to act and fight them to let the family escape. I had finished them off easily but before I knew it, they were calling me a Grimm spawn. They told the huntsman and hunteress about me. The military wanted to experiment on me since they also believed me to be Grimm. My life's been pretty much hell with those bounties on me"

What kind of asshole does that?!... As much as I tried not getting myself in useless trouble, I'll have to take it upon myself to take care of her. No way I'm letting an injustice like that go unnoticed.

Y/n: "Got anywhere to stay?"

Velvet: "No unfortunately, the forest has been my home for awhile now. Anything I need I take from here. I take care of the people who get into trouble with the Grimm nearby"

Y/n: "Regardless of how they view you?"

Velvet: "Regardless of how they view me"

She really is innocent. I need to help her.

I sense trouble nearby.

Y/n: "Down!!"

I create a sword and slice the bullet in half, shielding Velvet from a potential killshot. A man with a sniper rifle/sword weapon jumps down from the trees.

??: "What's the big deal kid? I'm trying to save your life from that monster"

Y/n: "Don't call her that"

??: "That's what she is"

He starts circling us but I make sure to keep Velvet behind me the entire time. I try keeping my guard up for any potential ambushes but guarding our rear and making sure I am fast enough to block any shot he may fire is rather difficult with the speed his bullets fire at.

Y/n: "Who are you?"

Bounty: "Someone looking to make some good lien. Just hand her over and I'll split the cash"

Y/n: "Not happening"

Velvet: "Y/n, you don't have to do this. Just let them take me. I-"

Y/n: "Did nothing wrong. I promised someone I couldn't save that I'll save those who were done wrong and need saving. You won't have to live the way you do any longer"